ⅹⅹⅱ. emily's blueberry muffins

Embry drove, Diana sat next to him and Bella sat on her right. Jared had decided the bed of the truck was where he'd rather be and Diana was grateful for his absence. Paul had mentioned Emily once or twice, even Sam spoke of her. All Diana knew, though, was that she was Sam's imprint and, essentially, mother of the pack.

"So," Bella began, breaking the silence and swallowing her fear, "-you knew?"

Diana nodded, "Yes... I have since you first introduced me to Jacob."

Bella nodded, though she was clearly upset. The group arrived at a cozy, cabin-type house. It was wide and open, Jared hopped out of the back as the trio piled out of the cab.

"Hey, I think we should go back and see if Jacob's okay," Bella said, nervously, hesitating to close the car door.

Diana did want to go back, but not for Jacob. Even though she felt protective over her friend, she wanted to go back for Paul. She knew he could hold his own, but there was something different about Jake, something about his wolf, that worried her. 

Watching Jake phase like that, it looked too natural, like he wasn't forced into wolfhood because of her kind, but rather, because he was supposed to be a wolf.

"I hope Paul sinks some teeth into him, serves him right." Jared shook his head, leading the group up to the house.

"No way!" Embry said, excitedly, "Jacob's a natural. Did ya see him phase on the fly? I got 5 says Paul doesn't touch him."

"Easy money," Jared argued, "Jacob's just a rookie. With Paul, you got your wily veteran. No contest."

Embry turned, noticing Bella's hesitation, "Come on in, Bella! We won't bite."

Jared scoffed, sparing Diana a glare, "Speak for yourself."

Bella let out a hesitant sigh, but nodded and met Diana and Embry at the porch.

"Oh, hey, about Emily, Sam's fiance? Don't stare, it bugs Sam." He said, before chuckling and slinging an arm around Diana, yet again.

"Why would I stare?" Bella asked, but the duo had already walked inside.

Embry squeezed Diana's shoulder, and she smiled slightly, very unsure about the whole thing. Would Emily like her? Did she know about Paul imprinting on Diana? Did she know Diana was a vampire? If she did, would she accept Diana?

She didn't have much time to worry though, they entered the house just as Emily brought out a plate of blueberry muffins, "Are you guys hungry? Like I have to ask," she laughed, placing the tray on the table. Jared grabbed a muffin and sat at the table, while Embry led Diana to meet Emily.

"Hey, Em?" Embry caught her attention and she turned around.

When she saw Diana a wide smile broke onto her scarred face, "Oh my gosh! You must be Diana!" She rushed over, engulfing Diana in a hug, brushing away any doubts the girl had had previously.

"That's me," Diana chuckled, as Emily pulled away, still smiling.

"I have been dying to meet you! Paul's told me so much about you!" The woman gushed, "We are going to be such good friends! You are welcome over here any time, oh and-" Emily paused when she noticed Bella.

"Who's this?" She asked, her smile faltering slightly.

"Bella Swan, who else?" Jared scoffed again, grabbing a muffin.

"Hmm, so, you're the vampire girl," Emily stated, raising a brow. She kept her friendly smile on her face, but you could tell Bella's presence made her uneasy.

"So, you're the wolf girl." Bella countered, shoving her hands in her pockets awkwardly. Diana could tell she felt out of place.

"Guess so, well, I'm engaged to one," she paused, swatting Jared and Embry at the back of the head, "Save some for your brothers! And ladies first, muffin?" She asked, referring to Bella.

Bella smiled slightly and nodded, "Sure, thanks." She said, grabbing a muffin from the plate.

"Leave it to Jake to find a way around Sam's gag order." Emily chuckled, getting herself a glass of water.

"Oh, he didn't say anything to me," Bella said, picking at her muffin.

"That's a wolf thing," Embry said, "Alpha's orders get obeyed whether we want 'em to or not. Oh and check it out," the boy paused for effect, "-we can hear each other's thoughts."

"Would you shut up!" Jared scoffed, "These are trade secrets! Dammit! This chick runs with vampires!"

"You can't really run with vampires," Bella muttered, nodding to Diana, "-cause they're fast."

Emily and Diana chuckled, but Jared wasn't done, "Yeah? Well, we're faster."

"Is that a challenge, I hear, pup?" Diana quipped. She knew she was faster than him, he even knew she was faster than him.

Jared rolled his eyes at her, "Don't get me started on you." He scoffed before turning back to Bella, "Freaked out yet?"

Bella shrugged and shook her head, "You're not the first monsters I've met."

Suddenly, Sam came inside, slightly out of breath, "Jake's right. You're good with weird." Then he made his way to Emily and pulled her into a hug. They shared a sweet kiss, then Sam began peppering kisses all over Emily's face.

Jacob and Paul came in, shoving each other and laughing. Jacob leaned against the doorframe as Paul took a seat at the table, turning to Bella and Diana.

"Sorry," he said, to Bella before diverting his eyes to Diana. He nodded for her to sit with him. Diana glanced at Jacob and nudged Bella in his direction.

Bella stared hard at Diana, who could tell the girl wanted a word with her. Paul grabbed Diana's hand, tugging her toward him.

"We'll talk later, okay? Go." She said, nodding towards Jacob again. Paul finally tugged harder, pulling Diana into his lap.

Bella paused and watched them curiously, Diana had turned to Paul and smiled widely at him, before leaning in to kiss his temple. Paul looked relaxed? Like nothing could ever go wrong if Diana was there with him.

Bella hadn't known him for long, seeing as they only just 'met' today, but she could tell he was usually a tense person. She noticed that, with Diana so near him, it was like she brightened his world. They resembled Sam and Emily almost exactly. Bella was definitely going to make sure Diana explained everything later.