♧| Norton Campbell

Just a reminder : this is just a summary I made from an article I DID NOT write. Credits are down below

/BACKSTORY/

Norton Campbell, the man that survived the mining incident. As a boy who lost his parents at early age,his career path obviously isn't that high, resulting him to become a miner.As a miner though, Norton didn't really make much money, Despite everything, Norton was a hard worker. Norton was always "the first to go down to the mines, and the last to leave".

The reason why has to do with his goal of changing his fate and acquiring wealth. Like the other miners,he was seemingly doomed to a life where he would be poor and die homeless and unhappy. This was what everyone expected of him. Norton decided he didn't want that. He wanted to show them that he could get somewhere. That he could be "better" than what everyone believed he could be. He was going to "prove himself". But learning how creul the world is; many people treated him like crap since back then miners are in the lower class.He probably started thinking that everyone was like that, that people only cared for themselves,so Norton started avoiding social interactions and forming relationships.

He started closing up and doing the same to avoid the chance of being hurt if he did try to interact or form a relationship with someone (to avoid being betrayed or used or treated badly). Norton's emotions being described "as changeable as the weather" connects with what Benny said about Norton, the "polarized face" aka "sometimes smiling, other times gloomy".Norton acting friendly and polite, while at the same time being gloomy over his desire to change his fate, and he tried to normally hide and/or not show this "gloomy" side (especially since just him working hard pushed people away/intimidated them).

About the mining accident,in Golden cave.The actual reason why the mine collapse is caused nonother than Norton himself.He had stolen a dynamite and blew the blockage up,hoping to find gold further in. But the cave wasn't stable therefore starts to crumble, trapping many miners inside.

As an added thought, maybe the reason Norton says it's their "misfortune" in his last deduction is because he might kind of be in shock and doesn't want to admit or is having trouble accepting everything that happened and everything he did (and how he got others killed). So he tries to tell himself that the only reason the others died is because they were "misfortunate", rather than him being the cause.This might be why Norton gets mad in one of his deduction star quotes, when he says not to remind him about what happened in the mine. He's likely still torn up about what happened and still struggling to accept it.

The fact one of his official tweet responses is "don't forget", that might mean he does eventually accept it, which could also be part of the reason why Norton get's so much more gloomy and broken later.

Also, it seems that there is a material called the meteorite that is facted to be the source of every miners greed for gold, if that were true and Norton just really wanted to find gold, I don't see why he wouldn't use dynamite at one of the other 12 mines. It's not like he knew this mine had a higher chance of having gold in it than any of the other 12 mines he went to. It's the meteorite that urged him to do this, and it obviously backfired causing the demise of the cave itself.

The meteorite influenced, affected his brain and the decisions he made, made him "crazy" and ignore the lives of his coworkers (since they were also affected, they probably didn't care about each other either, so it wasn't just Norton feeling that way), and increased the temptation and desire he felt (for gold) to such a degree that Norton (and the others) acted the way he did. It caused him to act in a way he wouldn't normally have.

The meteorite have something to do with the giant eye in the golden cave which also connects the place with lakeside as well.

More information about Norton's personality disorder, stated in his 2nd birthday letter, it sounds like he's talking to himself is because of the meteorite. It's the reason he has 2 extremes in emotions and pretty much has something close to what seems like DID (Disassociate Identity Disorder, which I believe one of the responses I got from officials actually mentioned him having this).

 It's the reason he has 2 extremes in emotions and pretty much has something close to what seems like DID (Disassociate Identity Disorder, which I believe one of the responses I got from officials actually mentioned him having this)

If you're interested, you can read more in the link below.

Credits fully to:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-mjYsF50Gb1EbOh61EQ73gAO27x-f5K9/edit

Whoever wrote this 64 pages about Norton, you are so amazing T~T)

Also Norton is 27-28, this is confirmed in the official art book.

________________________________
~Nortcoco-san