Chapter Eight: Of Wars and Simon Says

Chapter Eight

Of Wars and Simon Says

Tsukuda Kiyomi’s Point of View

            “Do you all know how to play M&M wars?” one of the teachers proctoring the games asked in a monotone voice. It sounded as if she didn’t want to be there.

            “Yes.”

            “Yeah.”

            “I don’t know, sure?”

            “Meh.”

            “Why are we even doing this?”

            “What’s the whole point of this ‘games’ thing, anyway. I’d rather be doing homework.”

            “Bro, you kidding me? I’d rather be in the gym right now. This stuff is pointless.”

            “You can say that again.”

            The series of mutters and murmurs were heard outside on the Takahashi soccer field. I stood beside Rin with a bored look in my eyes as the teachers let the students rant on nonsense. Truth be told, I would rather be doing at least something than nothing right now. At least I would be getting something done.

            “Alright, you all, shut up!” the teacher shouted sharply. “If you want to watch the other teams win, sure! Go ahead! But if you want to get something flipping done, then do it, you bakas!”

            I whistled at the teacher’s actions only loud enough for Rin to hear.

            “Man, look at that temper,” Rin shook his head as he whispered to me. “What class does she teach at Takahashi, because I’m sure as hell she doesn’t teach at Samezuka.”

            I chuckled before abruptly stopping. It was still kind of weird rekindling a long-lost friendship with Rin. We never explicitly said we even wanted to re-ignite the friendship, but it was mutually stated. I tried to keep myself composed and on the monotone side of the spectrum.

            “If I remember correctly, she teaches AP Psychology and AP Human Anatomy,” I muttered.

            Rin deadpanned, “Gosh, what an interesting combination . . . Psychology and anatomy . . . do you even realize how creepy that is?”

            “Hey, you two, in the back!” the said teacher shouted directly at us. “Stop mumbling! If you want to say something, shout it loud and clear to the whole class, dummies!”