One

Chapter 1 - It Doesn't Hurt Anymore

----

"Be careful sweetie, okay?" My mother calls out to me as I approach the snowy slopes.

I place the sled in front of me and lay head first onto it, gripping the sides tight. My feet give me a little push forward and I begin to feel the ground slowly moving underneath me. The white slippery snow glides past me as I start to gain speed, descending further down the slanted hillside.

My heart pounds as the sled shifts to the right ever so slightly, headed straight for a line of trees. As the snow flys past me I hear my mother calling out my name, yelling for me to jump off the sled.

The fear takes course over me and I'm helpless. I shut my eyes tight as the trees gain closer, the inevitability straight ahead.

My body slams into the tree at full speed, my head perfectly landing in the centre on the wooden stump. I feel the unbearable pain wash over me as I lay still on the cold wet ground, tiny black spots filling my eyes. I blink a few times trying to clear them but oddly see an array of flowers surrounding me, before feeling myself slip into a deep unconscious state.

----

I bolt upright in bed, clutching at my head, feeling the small scar that lays there within the strands of hair. I slump my head into my hands and let out a soft exhale, the flashing memories of 20 years ago embedded in my brain.

A soft grunt slips from the man laid next to me as he turns over in bed, changing position. Through the dimly lit room I gaze upon my husband, watching as his chest rose and fell from his breath.

I lay back down onto the mattress and stare up at the ceiling, pondering on the thoughts that were laced in my mind. My body winces at the recollection of events unfolding within me, remembering the unbearable pain and discomfort.

My hands lie flat on my chest and I feel the soft beating of my heart. I inhale and hold my breath for a moment before slowly exhaling, releasing the built up stress and tension.

As I allow myself to relax I close my eyes and begin to feel my body go tingly, the fatigue now catching up with me. I take one last deep breath in, now giving myself in to the slumber.

----

"Hey hon, how was work?" I smile at my husband as he appears in the doorway of the bathroom, undoing his tie.

"Yeah, fine. Busy day as usual. The fundraiser has been pushed up further so it's in a few weeks now." He pauses for a brief moment before continuing on, "Is that what you're wearing tonight?" His brows draw together, peering at my outfit choice.

I stare at myself in the mirror, admiring the classy mid-length, white dress. My hands run along the sides of my waist, smoothing out the garment. I let out a small sigh and turn to face my partner.

"Yeah. Well, I thought about it. I can change if you like." My words flow soft and timid, praying that he won't make me change appearance.

"Well yeah it's a bit much. How about you put on that lovely cream dress you have. Maybe along with your light blue cardigan." He unhooks the tie from his neck and slings it across his arm.

"So do I need to be charming?" My head tilts to face him, glancing over his figure.

"No just be yourself. Well, maybe a little bit charming." He smiles and swiftly turns on his heel, walking away from the doorway back into the bedroom.