Why You Might Want Me as Your Mentor

Mentoring Style

I will make inline comments in your Word or Google Docs manuscript along with some chapter-end thoughts. I'm honest, but not brutally so. I am always conscious of the writer's feelings because I know what receiving critical feedback feels like. I prefer email or Discord interactions, but will be okay with Wattpad DMs as well. I don't like talking on the phone or via Zoom. My thoughts aren't very well-formed if they aren't written down.

What I'm Good At

• Dialogue - I love natural-sounding banter and can help spot the stiff or boring conversations.

• Pacing - I prefer a faster-paced story, so if there are slow parts, I can help speed it up or cut it out.

• Hook - What makes your story stand out? What's that special ingredient that will get a reader's attention and want to find out more? Defining what that is will be crucial in a story's ability to snag readers.

• Logline - I've had lots of experience getting to the heart of a story and boiling it down to its essentials. A logline needs to point out what the hook of your story is in a very short amount of time. I can help you get there.

• Line editing - I can streamline sentences so it says the same thing with fewer words, and also reword sentences for improved clarity. I'm in tune with what certain words imply and can help you achieve the nuance you want.

 Why You Might NOT Want Me as Your Mentor

• I don't want to deal with defensive writers. If I point out something, we can definitely discuss why I pointed it out. It's possible I misunderstood your intent. But giving me excuses about why you don't want to fix things just tells me you're not all that interested in improving your craft.

• I don't pay much attention to plot structure. But if something doesn't "feel" right, I will point it out.

• I'm not into slower-paced literary works and may end up harming your story by trying to speed it up.

• If you need help planning out a series, I don't have that kind of experience in long-term story plotting.

• I'm much less active on the weekends