18. The Adventures In Babysitting

The natural light from outdoors reflected through the windows, beaming on Rafael, Abuela, and I as we resided on the couch together

The natural light from outdoors reflected through the windows, beaming on Rafael, Abuela, and I as we resided on the couch together. Abuela was in the middle, while I sat at her right, and Rafael was on her left. Their eyes were glued to the screen of the television that was attached to the wall. Multiple advertisements of all kinds played before winding back to whatever was on TV.

My attention was focused on the picture frames fastened accordingly against the sturdy, champagne wall. They had various pictures of us as a family throughout the years. Some of them were from before Rafael and I were born. However, most had us all there, smiling brightly for the wholesome picture to be captured—and cherished for the years to follow.

The picture that caught my attention most was the one of Mom and Dad, their faces closer to each other's as close as possible—as if they were about to kiss. I knew for sure that it was from a special day, possibly from their engagement party or wedding night. Whatever it was from, it must have been special and romantic.

Instead of thinking if my love life would end up like theirs, I thought about Rafael and his new girlfriend Josephine. Since they are seniors, this last prom coming up in a few months would be remarkable for them.

At Westdale, prom is not ordinary—it is a battle. Couples here try their best to win their title as prom king and queen of the year. Last year, Millicent and her current ex-boyfriend, Charles won and owned the titles for themselves. Millicent is the queen bee of the sophomores, so winning prom queen helped her stay relevant to her title.

By now, everyone—no matter what clique they're in knows that Millicent will try her best to earn her title as prom queen. Her elite friends are fully supporting her, while people of other cliques want someone else as prom queen.

It would be challenging to find someone different. Most people adore Millicent more than anyone else in the whole grade. They would not vote for anyone for prom queen other than her. The possibilities of anyone becoming prom queen was low, but anything is possible.

"So," Abuela croaked, running a hand through Rafael's shaggy, brunette hair, "Do you two have any plans for today?"

"In a couple of minutes, I will head over to Josephine's house to hang out with her and her siblings." Rafael beamed, glancing at his smartwatch fastened around his wrist.

"That's great, mi amor." Abuela grinned in an adorable manner, "What about you, Rose?"

"I think I will go with Rafael. I want to meet Josephine's siblings." I responded briefly.

"It's nice that you want to do this." She declared, her caramel eyes gazing into mine with tender care, "You two should get going now. It's warm out, and it will get hotter later."

"Okay, but then you'll be here alone. Mom is doing her work upstairs, while Dad is playing soccer with some friends." Rafael stated, foiling his hands in his pockets as he stood up.