Chapter 24: But Why?

⭐️Chapter 24: But Why?

Bird couldn't take it.

She'd thought she finally escaped this nightmare and the people in it...but it was only for a short while. Now that she had friends who had shown her what freedom truly was like, she wasn't sure she could ever turn back to this place...and yet here she was. Maybe she deserved it, she thought. After all, she'd probably rudely interrupted their lives without considering how they might feel. But she hadn't done anything to hurt them, right? So surely they weren't mad at her, and maybe she didn't deserve this?

Oh who was she kidding, she couldn't tell.

A scientist came in with a needle, and Bird tensed up at it. Ugh, what were they injecting her with now? Of course, she'd survived numerous shots before, but they were always scary in the sense that she'd never know what it truly was. There wasn't really anything she could do about it either, even screaming wouldn't do anything. As she felt the sharp pain for just a brief second, she sighed.

When would this torment be over? Would she ever get a say, would she ever be free again? Her mind wasn't clouded as she thought about this, but she was prepared to have everything plummet into unconsciousness at any second. In the meantime, Bird looked over at the computer on the table and saw that the injection had seemingly been for something called "Bird Flu". Was this because of what she was? She didn't know, but she didn't care, even after the scientist left with the computer and released her from her restraints.

Bird was out of those metal bars, sure, but she didn't feel like getting up. What was the point, anymore? This room had no vents or windows or holes to squeeze into. She couldn't find any cracks in the walls, secret places behind things, nothing. It was all hopeless, anyway. There was definitely no way out.

For sure.

No way.

-----

Fang was walking down the halls with the rest of the Crashers, watching them all talk amongst themselves without including him. He didn't care too much, but it made him feel like he'd missed out on some event or inside joke thing and now he was just an underdog. He'd tolerated this stuff for at least a year, and never really stated his opinion on it. Even if he wanted to, what good would it do?

Sure, he'd chimed in with the others adding on, but he still felt lesser. He needed to be more intimidating, make his presence known and all that. However, Fang was snapped out of his thoughts as he heard someone talking and everyone stopped walking.

"Look guys, isn't that the room Hunter said that puny little girl was staying in?" Spyke asked.

It was indeed, the room that held that girl. The one who cheated in the turf match. The one the group disliked because electricity stacked on top of boiling ink was definitely considered unfair (even though the group didn't care if THEY had the unfair advantage). She might've been banned from turf wars, but Ryn sure wasn't.

"Heh, do you think we should do something with her?" Thrash grinned.

"Yo, I'd LOVE to," Thorne replied with a sinister smile.

"Didn't Hunter say there were scientists already doing things to her, though? Let's not interfere with that," Fang interjected.

"Oh yeah, true. Maybe there's something else and we can come back later," Spyke said.

"Right, Hunter said somethin' about trust..." Thrash muttered.

"It's fine anyways. No big deal," Thorne replied.

Fang sighed and stared down at the floor. The other three started up another conversation, which he could hear pretty clearly.

"Man, I'd love to see what she'd do if she had her powers taken away, though!" Spyke said.