(Soramafu) ❄︎ Twins (Pt.2) ❄︎

T/W: mention of blood

If you have watched Re:0 you know how sad it will be. Read it at your own risk.

------

Fate loves playing tricks on mortals.

It was a dark night. The crescent moon hung low, everyone sound asleep.

Until a clan of beasts launched an attack at the quiet village.

And the world was suddenly dyed in a shade of crimson red.

Fire was everywhere, red flames dancing to the cries that echoed. Blood stained the soil beneath their feet. Corpses lay here and there, their faces still keeping the shocked espression as life slowly slipped away.

The first thing Mafu did was to scoop his younger twin up, and make him hide behind the gravestone of their mother, who passed away from an illness a year ago.

"Promise me to stay here no matter what. Don't peep, don't make a noise, until I'm back. Okay?" Mafu gave his insecure brother small pats on the head.

"Onii-san..." the little ravenette sobbed in fear, not wanting to let go of the albino who always make him feel safe.

Mafu's heart clenched.

Oh, how he wanted to just take Soraru's hand and bring him to anywhere safe.

But he's the most talented warrior in the village.

Only he could save everyone.

It's his duty to go defend his home clan.

Mafu closed his eyes, gave Soraru a small kiss on the forehead, then picked up his weapon and ran towards the battlefield, joining the others.

Never look back before the battle ends.

Or else it would be your last glimpse of what you saw.

----

One by one they took the invaders down, but one by one their men fall too.

"Mafu...go..." the chief croaked, crimson liquid flooding through the open wound on his chest.

Mafu stood there without a word, at the middle of the ruined village.

Standing face to face to him was his sole remaining opponent.

"An unexpectedly strong boy, huh? Gonna be a wonderful sight on the battlefields a few years later. But you're never getting to that day." the leader of the intruders pulled a cruel smile on his face. "Now all we have to do is to take you down and wipe you little oni brats' existence away."

Mafu was already exhausted. The battles took a long toll on his young body, and he felt like collapsing at any moment.

Yet once again he forced the power of mana into his horn.

The once beautiful village now looks like living hell.

Everyone else was down.

All except Soraru.

And he has to defend him with his life.

Just like what he did when they were young, right?

One step.

Two steps.

Three steps to the back.

Step by step Mafu was forced to step back, his opponent intruding deeper and deeper into the village.

He knew that the hut his family lived in was coming in sight.

He knew that Soraru was behind the little grave that propped up in the backyard.

He could, and would never let anyone step on that last piece of clean soil.

"... Onii-san?"

Mafu knew he shouldn't, but still couldn't help but to shoot his head towards the direction of the voice.

And there was Soraru, who heard the footsteps, sticking half of his head out from behind the gravestone with delight-filled eyes upon seeing his dear brother back.

NO! DON'T! Soraru....

The beast smirked, seemingly amused by how such a boy with so little magic could survive the bloodbath.

The next moment Mafu nearly panicked as a green streak of light shot towards Soraru.

Don't...

Mafu launched another attack too, but the dim red ray was quickly swallowed.

I'm still not strong enough.

I thought I was.

Sorry, everyone.

Sorry, Soraru...

The bright green flashed in front of his eyes before getting swallowed by the darkness.

---

Soraru froze in horror.

As the strong green light hit his brother's horn hard and sliced half of it off.

As his beloved brother slumped to the ground, his breath weak and his beautiful red eyes now shut to him.

As the head of the beast suddenly rolled to the side.

As a masked man appear from behind.

Soraru was at the edge of crying upon seeing all the wounds on his elder twin's body, but instead of sulking like he used to, he stood up with trembling legs to the stranger who slayed his---or his brother's ---opponent.

"Who...who are you?" he took a step forward and put his brother behind him.

"None of your business."

"Can you please save my brother?"

If there's a mirror Soraru would be able to see that his expression is exactly like how Mafu used to defend him back then.

"...what can you do to pay then?" the masked man asked coldly.

Soraru dipped his head down for a moment, then looked up again.

"Anything. Anything I can. I can try to learn if I don't know how to do it."

The man was silenced for a while.

Until his lips finally let slip of two words.

"Follow me."