Chapter 2: Late x Night x Discussions

2030 words.

   Sleep didn't get easier over the years. Generally, the night was the time Killua would roam the streets, searching for a conceivable approaching danger whether it was when he was looking after Gon or Alluka, but there was no such danger in Whale Island. It left Killua bored. Of course, his mind never left him completely bored, but the last thing Killua felt like listening to was his demeaning thoughts.

   Darkness, but since Killua trained for late-night missions, everything appeared bright as day. He glanced over to Gon, who laid on a separate mattress adjacent to Killua's, his back faced towards the former assassin.

   A familiar warmth blossomed in his chest when Gon let Killua sleep in his bed mere hours before. His welcoming smile, voice full of light-hearted laughter, "I'll let Killua sleep in my bed. I've gotten used to sleeping on the floor mattress since you stole mine when you lived here."

   Killua didn't protest, but he should've thought ahead. The last time he visited, he had an attachment to Gon, sure, though it was far from this— a feeling so intense that it rattled his core and lit a fire in his soul. Especially after Gon's absence in his life up until now, the scent that suddenly surrounded his entire body left him tingly, hyper-aware, and disgustingly aroused.

   He tried to distract himself in every way he possibly could, and he avoided staring at Gon, no matter what. Maybe he would get hypnotized by the ceiling fan or he'd stare out the window until his mind blanks. God, he'd do anything for that.

   "Killua still has trouble sleeping?"

   The transmuter's senses spike. He hears the sheets of Gon's bed crinkle. He could only see a black outline of Gon's general shape, but by the tone of his voice, Killua easily imagined his facial expression— a dark amber stare wielding wonder. However, it's different from the childish wonder, Killua could sense.

   He still doesn't look at Gon.

   "And do you still think sleep is a waste of time?"

   The enhancer laughs, leaving Killua's ears ringing, "many things feel like a waste of time, now."

   There's a marked silence.

   Gon speaks again, "want to go to our stargazing spot?"

   Where the feelings began. It did cause Killua to hesitate. "Was that the spot you planned on taking me?"

   Gon hums; Killua imagines a small smile curling his lips, "one of them."

   They sneak out the window moments later. Killua follows Gon across the roof with silent steps, careful to not wake Mito nor Alluka. The action feels natural, instinctual almost, falling onto the fluffed grass that has constant dew from the moisture in the sea breeze. Killua absentmindedly brushes his shorts off; all of his movements pause upon finding Gon staring at him, intensity rolling off in waves. "What?" Killua snapped.

   "Your hair," he takes a step closer, a bit too close, "it's always been pretty in the moon-" Gon interrupts himself. He probably noticed Killua tense, thinking he went too far. "Sorry," he says in a quiet voice.

   Killua struggled to bite back a frown. Why did I tense up? He thinks to himself, but he knew why. It's the same reason a virgin ceases up when touched by someone they love, admire, desire.

   He opens his mouth to say something to lighten the mood; the words die on his tongue. Or perhaps, they were never there in the first place.

   Gon enters the forest, and Killua follows.