Time

"Time"

Time is a funny thing. Continuous. Never repeating. You will never get back that 10:47 on that one Friday night a couple months ago or that 4:15 the day you were late for a meeting. Time feels fast or slow sometimes, but in truth it's doing what it has always done. Tick down til you can never get back that second or minute or even hour. Mocking you about it. They say "history repeats itself," but time doesn't. What would you do if you could get back that second, minute, hour? What if you controlled a human's biggest enemy...Time?

    Walking down the street Saturday night at 7:06 p.m, Celestial never expected to discover what she did. It was dark. Cold. She shivered at the impact of the chilling air as it hit her bare skin. She had forgotten her jacket at home. However, strangely, there was no one on the busy road at this time. Not a single car or person on the usually loud and obnoxious street. She was walking to the store to get some things for her mom. She shivered again. How could I forget my jacket. she thought to herself as she continued her journey, paying no mind to the quiet street.

In fact she also paid no mind to a large vehicle moving rapidly down the street headed right towards her. A drunken driver who also is paying no mind to the young girl walking across the street. In fact, when they finally noticed each other, it was too late. The girl looking up with doe eyes as she registered what was happening and the driver looking as if he had seen a ghost. Yet, it was still too late. 7: 09. Funny how time seems to slow down at moments like these, but no. Time stops for no one. The impact of the truck hitting the girl was deadly. The truck going 55 mph hit the girl with so much force she flew back at least 20 feet.

Getting out, the truck driver had no clue what he had done. 7:10. One minute he was a drunken driver, angry at the world that had betrayed him. He was angry at Time for not being generous and letting him have just a few more hours, minutes or even seconds with his wife, who just passed away. Angry at the people who pitied him. He just needed one night to get his mind off things. He needed Time to give him a break, a time out, or maybe even a pause button. However looking into the frightened doe eyes of a little girl who suddenly came into view in front of his car, the world flashed before his own eyes. He pleaded for this to not be happening, for that pause button. At that moment, he sobered up immediately, by looking into those eyes. Eyes that had not yet gotten to see the hardships in life.

But no, Time stops for no one. Not even for the young girl looking upon her death. Or the man who ended it. Tik... tok... tik... tok. 7:12.