Scarlet's Goodies

Scarlet's Goodies

Beauty was the name Scarlet should have had. For whatever she saw at the mirror, everyone envied her so bad. She was ready to go outside their humble abode built in the core of the woods, when her mama dear spoke.

"Never show hospitality to strangers; they are never your friends to begin with. We live in a dangerous place where evil is roaming the land," a default reminder of Scarlet's mama dear to her.

"But mama dear, its summer, the sun's at its peak and no dark creature will jump at me."

"Monsters are out for a stroll, be it on day or night. They capture innocent children and eat their entrails with delight."

"In this era mama dear, what do monsters look like? So I will know it's time to run when I see one."

"They wear various hides, my dear Scarlet. Some are sightly, others are hideous you will stumble in fright."

"Do they also wear capes, mama dear?" Scarlet asked fearfully as she envisioned something evil attacking her who also wore cape, like her, but with ill intent.

"Capes, cloaks, tattered clothes, wools, linen, and silk. They wear what they will, so be careful, Scarlet dear."

"I'll never dare forget what I heard from you mama dear, loud and clear."

With plump and rosy lips, she kissed her mama goodbye. And promised to be at home, before the clock strikes five.

Scarlet was humming a merry tune as she galloped past the bushes and wild berries. It was two past noon and she still had a long way to go. She routinely followed the trail she used to walk through her Granny's home.

On her way, she stopped by a river. She felt the need to quench her thirst, and so she drank to ease the dryness of her throat.

The sudden slosh of water came to her left. There she saw a maiden whose fairness could rivaled hers. It was like a fairy had jumped to reality and was just before her eyes. She was so lovely Scarlet didn't dare look away. Suddenly, the reminder of Scarlet's mama dear disappeared into thin air.

"Your beauty must have held hundreds of eyes. I wonder whose more beautiful between us if we asked all the kids and the guys." Scarlet innocently told the real-life fairy.

"And I've also captured thousands of hearts. It was inevitable, with the gift this heavenly."

"It sure is. Will you still be here until I return? You might want to spill the secrets to your beauty. Secrets are made to be shared, after all."

"I'd love to, darling. I'll wait here." Then the stranger cunningly smiled at Scarlet.

"After I carry delightful foods to my Granny, expect my company in a short while." Scarlet waved her goodbye to the deceitful maiden in the river and off she went deeper to the woods.

Rays of light in the afternoon past through large, menacing leaves and branches of the historical trees and illuminated Scarlet's way to the house of her old and sickly Granny.

Scarlet found her pitiful Granny on her bed, covered in old, shabby sheets. Granny was always sick she barely leaves that bug-ridden mattress.

"Granny?"

Scarlet heard few horrible coughs under the sheets.

"Good to have you here, Scarlet dear," came a hoarse voice of her Granny.

Granny revealed only her face and yet Scarlet already knew that Granny's disease got worse this week.

She reined in the tears of hopelessness of having no cure to her Granny's worsening disease. She could only imagine her Granny's struggles.

"Oh, Granny, you looked so altered today. And what big teeth you have." The yellow stains on them looked like Granny despised toothbrush for the last week. Scarlet doubted if Granny even had the strength to do the simple task.

"Don't mind them, dear. It's so that I can chew your goodies better."

Poor Granny, despite being weak, she still have to chew her food well or else she'd upset her stomach.

"And what thick eyeglasses you wear."

"I have them so I can see your charming face clearer. Scarlet, do you mind coming near your old Granny so I can hear you better?" The old lady's voice is gravelly due to sore throat.

Poor Granny she bore those heavy-looking glasses just so she could see her lovely grandchild clearly, and her sense of hearing wasn't faring well either.

"Sure, Granny. I also brought you goodies. Want a taste of them?" Scarlet offered beaming. Anything to alleviate the suffering of her Granny.

"I'll be delighted, honey." Granny's voice was still scratchy, like claws tearing wooden floorboards.

Scarlet opened the basket. She smiled and licked her lips, barely containing her excitement.

"Oh, what deadly goodies I brought!" Scarlet exclaimed as she revealed what she brought.

Beneath the luscious chocolates and the saccharine sweet candies, was a gun. Attached with it was a silencer.

She pulled the trigger and delivered a headshot to the imposter in the bed. Blood started to ooze out of the head of the witch. The thick, crimson liquid reminded her of natural juices of berries from an orchard. Such a breathtaking sight to behold. Luscious and downright lovely.

"But, Granny, what poor sight you still have, since you didn't see that coming." Scarlet muttered smirking.

Scarlet then chopped the witch's head off and filled the empty bottle of wine with its blood. She made sure the house was fresh and pristine before she left it open to lure another victim.

She merrily walked back through the haunting woods as she cradled her basket. In it were the two newest collections of wine to her cellar. One was labeled Baba 14, the other one's Sirenaide 7.

Scarlet was a connoisseur of fine wine and she needed to have more savory potables for her Granny's fifth death anniversary in next fortnight.

And yes, mothers truly knew best that monsters wore the hides they willed. As for Scarlet, she adored her bloody red hooded cape that she pressed and folded it until her next visit to Granny's house.

Scarlet's Goodies
Twelveneer
All Rights Reserved. 2021.

(A/n: Hello! If you liked this short story, kindly hit the vote button below, leave a comment and/or follow me. Thank you!)