Chapter Sixteen

Zoë's eyes widened when she caught sight of Steve walking through the halls towards the lab. She yelped and dived under the desk "I'm not here!" She whispered urgently when Bruce looked at her questioningly.

"Where is she?" Steve's voice rang through the room.

Bruce stuttered, his eyes darting to Zoë by his feet "Where is who?" He asked.

Damn he was a bad liar.

"Zoë, you're not supposed to be working" Steve said sternly.

Zoë sighed and stood up "I wasn't" she whined, looking over at the man.

Steve crossed his arms and raised an eyebrow at her "Then what are you doing down here in the lab?" He asked.

She grinned and linked her arm with one of Bruce's "Well I'm just spending some quality time with my favourite scientist, that's what friends do right?" She asked.

Steve rolled his eyes and shook his head "Come on kid, you still have two days of rest" he insisted.

Zoë sighed and looked back over at Bruce "I have to go, Captain grumpy-pants won't let me have any fun" she grumbled.

Bruce chuckled and shook his head "Don't worry, I won't do anything groundbreaking without you" he promised.

Zoë grinned and unlinked her arm "You should get some rest too, if I have to suffer through that party on Friday so do you" she bargained with a laugh before following Steve out of the lab.

"So, this Tom guy" Steve started.

Zoë groaned and shook her head "If you're about to play the protective father card I swear I'll jump out that window" she threatened, pointing to the glass to her left.

Steve chuckled and shook his head "I was just going to say I'm glad you have him. When you ran off yesterday, damn kid I've never been that worried in my life. I can't tell you how relieved I was to see you two together" he said before laughing "that is after I got over the initial shock of seeing you kissing a total stranger" he added.

Zoë laughed and shook her head "He's not a stranger to me" she argued.

He grinned and nodded "True, so he was there while you were still with Hydra?" He asked.

Zoë nodded "He was with me through every single second of torture" she confirmed.

"I guess I understand why you're so close then" he said.

Maybe after she explained everything, after both she and them had the whole truth, she'd be able to tell Steve and the others that the man she loved so much was actually Loki.

"Well if I'm still not allowed to work, would you teach me how to fight properly?" She asked as they walked into the elevator.

Steve smiled at her and nodded "Sure" he agreed.

After a few hours of relentless training Steve glanced up at the woman he was so fond of and laughed breathlessly from where he had been knocked to the ground.

"Your discipline and determination is unparalleled, kid" he praised "it's like you don't even feel pain" he added.

Zoë shifted uncomfortably and offered him her hand to help him up. "Hydra has some really effective conditioning techniques" she explained. "'Round the clock torture has its benefits" she attempted to joke.

Steve frowned and took her hand, standing up and putting his arm around her small shoulders "Come on, let's take a break and grab some food" he suggested.

Zoë wiped sweat from her brow and nodded, Steve was actually a very good teacher and she felt a lot more confident about her combat skills. Of course they were no where near as impressive as his or Nat's but they would keep her alive if all else failed.