XIII

Life plodded on at an ordinary rate as your little family aged. Aidan's career only grew, you barely worked anymore. You didn't mind while Mona was still a toddler, but you knew you were going to have to find a job in a year or two. Just so that you wouldn't go insane.

As Ramona aged, her face appeared on your socials less and less. You made an agreement that you were going to raise her as ordinarily as possible and let her have her own say whether she wanted to be on your socials when she was old enough.

As well as this, your second pregnancy was discovered, out of the blue, mid-august. At this point in his life, Aidan decided he was the one who needed to make the next step.

So on Christmas morning, he woke up to an excited toddler and hushed the child. "Let's not wake mommy just yet." He repeated several times to little Ramona, bouncing her on his knee off the side of the bed.

When you finally woke up, there was already s camera in your face. "Christ, Aidy, I just woke up. I look like crap." Your husband giggled childishly, his phone not moving from it's spot.

"Hush up, you're always pretty, now get up before I have to stall the two-year-old any longer." Your eyes immediately flew to the chubby-cheeked child pulling at Aidan's arm. Making your way through the house with your family, you scolded Aidan for not waking you earlier, to which he responded, "The little guy needs you to rest, though!"

You sat by the tree, looking like a whole planet, and passed presents across to your daughter who was cosied in between Aidan's crosses legs. You watched her excitement at the gifts. Each new parcel made her eyes pop out of her head and she would babble contently to herself. 

However, infants will be infants, and before the end of the day it was all a little overwhelming for Mona. She ended up curled up asleep mid afternoon. Aidan carried her to bed after she was found snoring quietly on the couch.

When he returned, you were trying to get comfortable on the couch and watch some shitty holiday movie. He fiddled with the velvet box in his pocket for a moment before reaching for his phone.

"What time are we going to your parents' place?" You asked.

"Around eleven o'clock," He replied as nonchalant as he could, starting the recording and propping his phone up so you could be seen on frame.

He inhaled sharply as he stood by you. "I've got you another present," He managed to say after clearing his throat. Your eyes softened and you followed the statement with "thank you"s and "you shouldn't have"s.

There was a short second of awkward silence before Aidan kneeled on the floor in front of you. Your hand clasped over your mouth as he pulled out the little velvet box. He gently levered it open to reveal the engagement ring. 

It was a beautiful silver band decorated with diamonds of different shapes and sizes, the largest one sitting right in the centre. It shimmered when the tree's lights hit it. Red, green and blue danced around the jewellery that was being held up before you.

You started crying before Aidan could even ask the question, nodding hysterically as he spluttered out a "will you marry me?" before immediately jumping into an embrace with you. He slid the ring on your finger gracefully as you pulled him into a passionate kiss.

"It's a bit late to say no," You joked, bringing his hands to your bump. He chuckled at your remark and rubbed you're stomach with tentative fingers as he promised himself to never screw up the pure bliss you and his kids brought.