Part 2

Hughie led Annie through the streets. Her hair was pulled back in her usual ponytail, and she laughed as Hughie pulled her through the crowd by her hand.

"What are you doing?" She laughed with a gleeful smile, "We're not in a hurry are we?"

Hughie stopped suddenly, causing Annie to spin into his chest. Hands coming up to rest on his shoulders. Hughie smiled.

"Not unless you want to be," he teased.

Hughie kissed her as people swirled around them, and then pulled away at once dragging her with him.

By the time they reached the park Hughie was slightly out of breath from all the running. Annie was fine as ever with her superpowers; barely breaking a sweat.

He led her to the nearest bench. Hughie wiped his hands on his jeans once, suddenly nervous again.

"You sure you want t' do this Hugh?" Butcher looked even more out of place than usual, "She's still a fucking supe."

Hughie barely paid him any mind, "I know Butcher."

The older man drummed his fingers on the case, turning half his body to face Hughie as he leaned on the glass. Throwing a smile to the attendant.

"This is shit. When I was in your position I picked one up at a pawn shop with Becca, after I asked." Butcher surveyed the area, "These fucks just want to make money off ya."

Hughie sighed, "I really don't care Butcher."

Butcher gave him a look, "What else is eating' ya Hughie."

Hughie shifted his weight once, battling with how much to share, "It's just...Annie's used to all this, fancy stuff. Vought state of the art apartments and clothes and I just..." - Hughie paused - "I just don't want her to be disappointed."

Butcher regarded him for a moment. "Eh she's with you Hughie. Ain't no disappointment gonna compare to that one."

Butcher clapped him on the shoulder and walked past him to find the loo.

—-

Hughie took Annie's hands at the bench, taking a steadying breath.

Annie looked at him with worry, "Hughie. Is everything alright?"

He took another deep breath and then nodded. Annie still looked worried.

"I love you."

"Oh god do you have cancer?!"

"What? No! I'm fine Annie I don't have cancer." Hughie nearly laughed.

"Oh thank god," Annie leaned back against the bench, Hughie was still smiling despite himself.

"Annie I love you. So much. Like, more than I ever loved superheroes when I was a kid," he looked up at her, "You're my second wind. And you've saved me more times than I can count. So..."

Hughie eased himself on to the ground, pulling the box out of his pocket as he did so. Annie gasped, her hands coming up to cover her mouth in the most cliche but adorable gesture Hughie had ever seen.

"Annie January, will you marry me?"

She sat for a second to long, causing a jump of anxiety to bolt through Hughie's chest.

But then she exploded, "Oh god Hughie yes, yes of course I'll marry you."

Hughie smiled larger than he ever had before. Sliding the ring on her hand as fast as humanly possible. Annie put her hands on each side of his face and kissed him over and over.

"I love you," she told him in between kisses, "I love you, I love you."

"I love you too."

Hughie knew he must have looked like a stupid idiot in love, but at that moment he only cared about the beautiful woman he was going to spend the rest of his life with.