Five

Chapter Five

Titan Glory

"My dad asked my mom for a divorce." I blurted out.

Haylee paused her chewing. She put the cupcake down and dabbed at her mouth despite the fact there was no crumb staining her lips, then swallowed slowly. She straightened her posture and looked me straight in the eye.

Talk about atmospheric change.

"I don't know what to do. I mean seriously I...ugh I just can't deal with that right now." I said and sighed heavily.

"Titan..." Haylee trailed off.

"I haven't even told Elliott. He's so tense about the gala tomorrow and he's the swim team assistant captain. Stella is busy with her violin classes and...I should just stop talking." I rambled as the frown between her eyebrows deepened.

"I can't offer any advice, sadly, but I can and will listen if you want to talk." She smiled and placed her hand over mine and stroked the back of my hand tenderly.

I immediately felt uncomfortable. She was my best friend's girlfriend and had no business touching me. It was an innocent gesture, no underlying meaning behind it. As much as I tried a part of me felt invaded and the simple sweet gesture felt wrong. I rudely pulled my hand away and ignored the confused look in her eyes.

"We better finish up. Don't want to be late for school." I mumbled knowing that we'd be half an hour early anyways. I didn't want anymore awkward moments so I finished off my bagel and cappuccino before paying the bill. I noted how she didn't complain.

Why does this feel like a date?

I shook away the thought from my head and got up. She grabbed her bag and led the way to her car. I still felt a pang of jealousy at how many cars she had at her disposal. Despite my vomiting in her car the previous night...

I just had to remember that bit.

We got in the car and drove to school in silence.

A blanket of awkwardness filled the car and it was as uncomfortable as wet clothes.

Once we reached the school parking lot, the silence became deafening.

Kill me now.

"Is something wrong?" She asked. I noticed the angry tone she tried to mask.

"No." I replied coldly.

"Really? Coz I can't help the feeling that you're mad at me." She said sarcastically.

I didn't reply but instead stared straight ahead at nothing in particular.

"God damn it! You have no right to be mad at me Titan! In case you forgot, I'm the one who picked your unconscious ass  from Jason's party yesterday. I drove you to my place and gave you somewhere to sleep and I gave you clothes to wear plus I drove you to school so I don't know why you're mad. Plus you puked in my car." She ranted.

"I didn't ask you to do any of that." I spat sourly.

She stared at me in shock.

"I'm sorry. Should I let you go home and come back with the hummer to make you feel better?" I mocked.

She gave me an angry look that clearly said, 'Get out or die' before her features relaxed. Her eyes still held the pain though.

Seriously? I just had to be an ass.

"Look Haylee-"

"I get it." She cut me off.

"You do?"