CHAPTER ONE

——————-
CHAPTER ONE
{the train and
the boy}
——————-

Camille felt like she was going to throw up all over Platform 9 and 3/4s. Ever since McGonagall's visit to the Grants, everything was different. They'd bought all of her witchy things and been supportive if not curious the whole time. Of course they'd been upset that they wouldn't be able to see her for nine months of the year, but they decided it was for the best. Camille deserved her best chance, and they weren't her parents if they didn't try giving her this opportunity.

"Have you got everything Cami?" Her mum asked her as she kneeled in front of her. Camille nodded as her mother pinched her cheek, implanting a rosy stain on the apple of her right cheek. Her father gave her a proud smile, which Camille returned with a bright hopeful one.

"I love you guys, I promise to write when I get to it." She told them before taking a step towards the train. "I should go before I have to room with some rando."

Camille excused herself onto the train, passing by other first-years and some older kids. As she looked back at her parents, she spotted a family in rich looking clothes with their two sons. One of them looked at her, most likely as she was staring, before turning back to their parents.

She felt embarrassed that she'd been caught staring but she pushed forwards onto the train. Shuffling into one with the door open, the girl placed her trunk atop the wire racks and sat down with a nervous look. Remembering her father had left a book for her in the trunk, the girl reached up to grab said book.

"Holly 10 1/2 with a Unicorn hair core." A voice said, Camille drew back to look at the doorway to see a girl her age in the doorway. "You don't mind if I?"

Camille shook her head as she watched the girl sneak past her and push her trunk above the rack opposite of her. She quickly reached up and took out the book before returning to her seat.

"How'd you know?" Camille asked, crossing her legs as she looked at the girl.

"I saw you at Ollivanders. I got a Red Oak 9 and 1/2, which I was rightfully cross about, so when you got nearly an inch more than I, I remembered." The girl explained, taking the wand from her pocket.

"Why were you upset? It's just an inch."

"I want to study wandlore, Red Oak is for hotheads and the length of the wand usually reflects how tall you'll be." She explained, throwing her wand towards Camille who messily caught it and inspected it.

"It's beautiful though." Camille complimented before drawing out her own from her knee-high socks. She placed it gently in the girl's hands, allowing her to inspect her own.

"Yours too," She said as she traced the wood with her fingertips. "My name is Dani Harmon. And you?"

"Camille Grant." Camille said handing her back her wand, Dani returned the sentiment, the two trading wands and shaking hands.

"You're a muggleborn, aren't you?" Dani asked. Camille furrowed her eyebrows at the word before shrugging, which somehow amused Dani to the point of laughter. "I'll take that as a yes. Muggle is the term referring to people like your parents and friends, they don't have magic.

"Muggleborn means that somewhere along your line there's traces of witches. Halfblood means you're half witch, half muggle. And Pureblood means you're full witch, 'cept most purebloods are snotty."

Camille nodded at the new information. Dani seemed to be a ball of knowledge who enjoyed talking, which the girl liked. Especially since she felt like she knew nothing. 

"I'm a halfblood, since you seem so lost I guess we'll have to be friends." Dani said with a confident smile. "I guess we must."

"If I'm an H, then you'd go and then me not long after." Dani explained to herself and Camille. Camille nodded at the information as the first years lined up to be sorted. She was in awe of the candles but she was particularly scared of the crowds watching them.

"Maybe we'll get in the same house." Camille said, glancing at the Slytherin table at the far end. They seemed to be zeroed in on one of the other kids, too busy to notice her looking at them.

"I dunno, either way you promise to be friends?" Dani asked, holding her pinkie out. Camille smiled at this before interlocking their pinkies and walking forward.

As they began to call out names, the room quickly felt like it was to swallow itself when the name "Black, Regulus." was called. Both the Gryffindor and Slytherin houses eyed each other as the hat was placed onto the boys head. When it called out Slytherin, it felt like a mutual breath of relief or disappointment had spread throughout the room.

The boy himself seemed pleased enough, offering a nod to his fellow students who welcomed him with open arms. A few others went after, until eventually.

"Grant, Camille."

Camille swallowed as she scooted onto the stool, she glanced at Mcgonagall who gave her a nod before placing the hat onto her head.

Well well well...

Rather fierce mind and ambition, however...

Yes. You'll do well in

"GRYFFINDOR!" The worn hat called out, the red table erupted in cheers and Camille could feel her face heat up as she stepped of and walked towards the table. They welcomed her as she sat next to two other first years before settling down.

Camille watched as the 'Grazinsky' boy was sorted into Ravenclaw and then Dani's name was called. "Harmon, Daniella." Dani took her seat on the stool and watched forward as she was sorted.

"GRYFFINDOR!" Camille let out a breath she wasn't aware she was holding as her newfound friend made her way to the table. Giving her a high-five when she sat down next to her.

"Here's to being Gryffindors, Daniella." Camille teased, bumping her shoulder with Dani's. The girl scrunched her nose before bumping back and then relaxing.

"Here's to it."