Twenty Seven | A Simple Mistake

Groaning, I dropped my backpack onto the seat next to Peter.

Last night had been a long one. After May came home, Peter Ned and I spun our tale: after trying to print out an interview for our project, the paper had caught fire, and then the printer wouldn't work.

I felt bad lying to May, but it was the best thing to do to keep her safe.

MJ, who was sitting across the aisle from me, leaned her head on her hand, staring at me.

"Hey. You look like you stayed up all night." she noticed, and I smiled grimly.

"How did you guess?" I asked wryly, and MJ snorted.

Ms Warren cleared her throat, drawing most everyone's attention, and interrupting MJ as she opened her mouth to speak.

Turning to the front of the class, the last few people fell silent.

"Alright class, before we get into today's work, we have an announcement. As you may or may not know, Midtown's final football game is this week against Manhattan High. A few of the team members have put together a petition of sorts to get the local heroes Spider-Man and the Black Cat to attend." Flash shifted smugly in his seat. "I have been asked to pass the petition around, so we'll give five minutes for that. Flash, you can come up and talk a little more about the game."

"Wait, how was the Weaver not included?" Aura whispered, sounding mildly offended.

Flash was the school quarterback, and shockingly, a very good one. He didn't look super athletic, which was the only main reason it was at all shocking.

Standing up, Flash walked down to the front of the class as Ms Warren handed off the petition.

"Most of you guys have been to a football game before, but this one is different," Flash said, and I was startled by how passionate he sounded. "This is the last game, and if we win, we win the championship." a couple people in the classroom started clapping.

The petition reached me, and I frowned, unsure if I should sign it or not. Glancing at Peter, I raised an eyebrow as if to ask if we should sign. He gave a quick nod and I scrawled my name in the second to last space on the page, passing it to Peter.

Dropping the three pages already filled back to the clipboard, Peter passed the petition back to the front, where Flash took one look at it and beamed.

"Woo! Thanks Parker!" he yelled, and practically skipped over to the door and pulled it open, hurrying out.

"You could still come anyways." I pointed out, and Aura snorted.

"Looks like you've got an admirer." Harry said, and Peter looked appalled.

"What? Flash hates me!" he protested and I laughed.

"But he loooovvvves Spider-Man," Aura pointed out, and Peter sighed.

Lunch came around quickly and I found myself sliding down the bench to sit across from MJ. She was buried in a book, a few stray curls peeking out from her ponytail.

"Hey." I said, smiling at her as I pulled apart my taquito.

MJ glanced up and gave me a small smile before glancing at my tray. "Why do you do that?" she asked, pointing at my gutted taquito.

"I don't like the tortilla's, and Ned'll eat them for me." I shrugged, and MJ shook her head, laughing a little.

Down the table Harry and Aura were chatting happily with Peter and Ned.

"Hey, uh, how are you, you know, holding up, I guess?" she asked, clearly in unfamiliar territory.

"Oh, the bathroom thing... Yeah, uh, I'm better, so that's good," I offered, and MJ nodded. "What about you? You don't have to tell me if you don't want to," I added hastily.