||CHAPTER 16||

||KIMULI||

I stir awake at the sound of utensils. My eyes hurt at the sight of the bright light. Though my heart awakens with happiness, causing my mouth to form a banana smile upon seeing my pretty Zawadi lying on my chest. Sleeping soundly oblivious to the reality of her life. It makes me genuinely happy to know that she can feel some peace even if it's just for the night. I don't recall when I fell asleep. I must have been so drowned my brains and eyes gave up leaving the TV on. It later went on sleep mode after the movie came to an end.

My eyes dart on the fair face and for the first time in my life, I feel complete. As if I just found the missing part of my soul. She makes me feel complete. If this is how Jason feels when he's with Kes, then I can't blame him when he acts all protective. He's simply looking out for what is his. And I will do the same when it comes to this pretty woman.

I struggle up and look through to the kitchen, I notice a moving figure. It's my mom. Damn it! She must have come to remind me about our shoot that is supposed to happen tomorrow. It's a family photoshoot. We like having them for memories and mom's show off on social media. My chaotic cousin Tina will be joining us today from Coast. She has always loved it when we go for thematic shoots and hates to miss out on any of them.

"Baby," I caress her face stirring her awake.

Her eyes open slowly, adjusting to the bright light. She looks so sleepy and adorable. If we didn't have an intruder in the house, I would have allowed her to sleep. Too bad, we have one who will tease me to annoyance the minute I step out of this couch.

"Hey," she whispers.

"Morning," I smile at her. "We have a visitor," I tell her.

Her face immediately turns into that of a scared puppy. It makes me smile. But once she takes note of my smiley face she frowns. She thinks it's a joke.

"In the kitchen," I whisper. She looks to see a figure working in there.

"Oh my gosh! It's your mom," she whispers in a panicked voice.

"Relax, she isn't going to do anything," I hush her. Her hands cling to me as she tries to calm down and look normal. When she calms down, I help her lift up and we both step out of the couch.

Mom sees us, leaves whatever she is doing and comes into the living room. She gives us a once over with a knowing grin that makes me roll my eyes.

"Ah, good morning, Adan," she greets her enthusiastically.

"Good morning, ma'am," she responds politely.

My mom smiles at her. I find myself praying that they will get along so that it will not come to a point where I will be torn between them.

"Remind me again why you had to come this early," I grumble.

"Nine am is early?" she smirks. I hate that look. It spells trouble.

"Oh, is it?" I ask turning to Zawadi.

She shrugs making mom chuckle.

"Go freshen up. Your chaotic cousin is on her way here. And if you don't want to start your day in a gloomy mood better start walking." I hold Zawadi's hand. She doesn't resist but she's tensed. I sooth the back of it willing her to relax as we walk upstairs. "Oh, please tell me to decided to take my advice," she says making a grin.