・one・

Going into her room, Sophie Foster saw the letter perched on her nightstand and finally broke. She could handle being tortured by the Neverseen, but she could not handle this. After Keefe told her it would be best if they spent some time apart, she realized she couldn't bear to stand in Elwin's office anymore because she liked him. Sophie had a crush on Keefe and she was too oblivious to see he had the same.

To The Mysterious Miss F!

Ugh- I'm already regretting starting this letter that way. But I don't have any extra paper, and crossing it out would look worse, so....... I guess we'll just have to add it to my list of mistakes. And I know you're going to think that everything I'm about to say should also be on that long list of Keefe fails. But I swear- that's NOT what this is. I'm not trying to fix everything or save everyone this time. I'm just trying to make sure I don't hurt anyone.

I can't tell you more than that without putting you in danger, so just........ trust me when I say that the powers my mom gave me are super bad.

There seriously aren't strong enough words to explain how horrible they are. AND I CAN'T control them- just like I can't stop my mom from forcing me to use them.

So..........this is the only way. I don't want to do it. But I have to.

And I'm not going to ask you not to hate me. In fact, it might be better if you do, because I need you to PROMISE that you won't try to find me. My mom will be waiting for you to track me down- and since I know how stubborn you are, I want to make sure you understand who you'd be putting in danger.

I'm going to be hiding the same way the Black Swan hid you. That's why you have to stay away.

Well, there are lots of reasons. So again, please, just........ trust me, okay? And since this is the last time I'll ever talk to you, I just...... I want to say that I'm really going to miss you. You mean a lot to me, Foster. More than you'll ever know.

Please be careful. Please be happy. And PLEASE forget all about me.

It'll be better for everyone that way.

You'll see.

Love,

Keefe

Time had frozen when reading the letter, minutes or hours could have passed and she wouldn't have noticed. Tears had streamed down her face, there was someone shaking and talking to her, but she couldn't see clearly. The person gave up and moved somewhere else, there were loud crashes and bangs, suddenly someone was cradling her in their arms.

・・・

Heading up the stairs to Sophie's room, Grady Ruewen didn't know what to expect, but this was pretty bad. Sophie was crying on her knees on the fluffy carpet in the middle of the room by her nightstand. Standing there for a little while unsure of what to do he watched her read the letter over and over, not understanding what Keefe wrote to her.

Feeling guilty for both letting Keefe go and just standing and watching as she cried over it, he walked over to her and shook her shoulders. "Sophie, it's going to be okay. This will get better from here on out." He kept trying to shake his adoptive daughter out of this trance, it didn't work.

He left her there to get Edaline, she'd know what to do. It's never easy to lose somebody you care about and Sophie just lost the boy she'd liked, he knew this was going to happen. He tried so hard to push them away, but it didn't work, and now, only know did Sophie have to realize her feelings.

"Eda," he calls out, her head turns to him and she sees the disdain on his face, "It's Sophie." He doesn't get to say more before she rushes past him up the stairs her dreaded walking up because he let this happen. Walking back into his daughters room he sees Edaline smoothing out Sophie's and rubbing her back saying things will get better.