Chapter II

"Morning babe," you said as you planted a kiss on Roger's cheek. You took a seat next to him and started building your plate with breakfast items. His mouth was full and he managed to spit out a greeting.

"Where were you last night? I thought you would've been at the party," you asked casually.

"I just got carried away with some studying and I forgot," he said. It sounded a little rehearsed but you didn't question it.

"Well, you didn't miss much. Although, I did get caught heading back to the common room. Detention on Thursday."

"Mmm."

"Are you okay? I feel like something's bothering you."

"I'm fine," he said, shoveling more food into his mouth.

"So, I've been thinking. For the Yule Ball I might get a navy blue or a purple dress. So don't get your dress robes until I pick one out. I just wanna make sure we match."

"Y/N, you're getting ahead of yourself. The Yule Ball is still months away."

"I know, I just can't help but be excited! And I want us to look perfect."

Roger slammed his fork down on the table and sighed, "You're making this so difficult."

"What?"

He grabbed your hand and pulled you out to the Entrance Hall. "Look, I didn't want to do this right now, but..." he spoke.

"Roger, what are you talking about?" you grabbed his arm and looked him in the eye, thinking no good could come of this.

"I...I think we should break up."

You were speechless, unable to process what he had just said. This was the last thing you expected.

"Please don't be too upset. It's nothing you did. I just...I've found myself interested in someone else and that's not fair to you."

"...Someone else?" you asked, holding back tears.

"I'm sorry. I never meant for this to happen."

"We can work through this Roger. It doesn't have to be the end," you pleaded.

He merely shook his head, kissed your cheek, and walked away. You sat on the staircase and realized things were really over. You felt heartbroken, but mostly blindsided. You knew you were never going to marry Roger, but you didn't have any serious relationship issues. Things were always great between you.

You sat there a while longer, waiting to see if someone would find you or if your emotions would change but nothing happened. You went about your day, attending classes, as if nothing had changed even though you were hurting on the inside.

                                                                           X

You arrived at McGonagall's office ten minutes before your detention was to start. You sat there, waiting for George to arrive and a few minutes later he dashed into the room, out of breath and took a seat next to you.

"Excellent, now that you are both here, we can begin your punishment. This evening, you will be polishing the trophies in the Trophy Room, by hand. Once every trophy has been polished and is up to my standard, you may go." She summoned rags and polishing liquid for you and sent you to the trophy room. You walked in silence to begin with but you knew it would be a long evening if it kept up like this.

"I'm sorry. About what I said the other night," he said as he started on the first trophy.

"Don't be sorry. You were right. I have been a bit of a bitch to you. I'm sorry I've treated you so poorly all these years."