IV.

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep—

My hand shoots out to turn off my alarm clock before my eyes opened. A soft groan comes from my lips as I roll onto my stomach and snuggle back into the warm blankets on my bed. I didn't want to get up. I wasn't ready to. Silence filled the room once more after I grew still and sleep began to creep its way back in. Just a few more minutes...

Buzz! Buzz! Buzz!

I let out a deep breath at the sound of my phone ringing. I lift my head from my pillow looking around the dark room for light on my phone. After patting my comforter down vigorously, I finally find it and answer. "Yeah."

"Council wants to see you. Be here in an hour." A voice requests from the other side. I recognized the voice as Adrian. He was one of the few people I cared to even befriend at HQ.

"What did I do now?" I ask, laying my head in the pillows again. "I was sleeping..." I let out a yawn. "good."

"Not sure, Míja. I'm just the messenger." And just like that, the call had ended. Short and sweet, just how I like it. So much for a good morning. Maybe they had an assignment for me. Yeah, that's it. They couldn't have seen Vincent at dinner with me and my family last night, could they? If they did, I'm fucked. I roll onto my back once more, allowing myself to wake up further. If I get in trouble for that bastard, I swear he's a deadman. Permanently this time.

*****

I straighten the ponytail on my head, pulling at a few strands to tighten it. The pulling of my hair caused some uncomfortable tension on the inside of the ponytail, making me move it around to relieve it. Ultimately, it loosened the ponytail again. A sigh escapes my lips as I closed the sun visor on my car and got out of my vehicle.

I look up at the warehouse building before me, dreading having to go in. I reach forward and pull the door open. The sound of steel scraping up against itself and the concrete caused me to mentally cringe. How could this be a secret headquarters if everyone could hear me entering within a 50-mile radius?

The sound of chains rattling and punching bags being hit could be heard as I entered. If anyone was ever to stumble upon this place out of curiosity, they'd find nothing but a gym. It was the training room for the Guardians. Here, everyone brushed up on their combat or just worked on their agility and speed. The fun stuff was on the second floor. By fun stuff I mean, the shooting range.

"Hey, hey, look who it is!" An exhausted voice calls out. I look over to the boxing ring at two guys leaning against the ropes. I smile softly and make my way over to the ring. "You too good for us folks here now? Ain't seen you in a while." Sebastian says as he holds his hand out for a quick handshake.

I glance down at his hand and back to his face. "I'm not touching that sweaty thing." I say with a smirk, shaking my head. "Full house today, I see."

"Yeah, guess everyone had the same idea today." Anthony said. "You coming to join in on the fun? Not fair you're not covered in sweat like the rest of us."

"No, the Council summoned me."

"Uh-oh."

"I know right?" I twist my lips to the side and glance to the elevator at the end of the wall. "I'll catch you guys around, okay?" Slowly, I begin to move away from the ring, making my way towards the elevator.

"Come out for drinks with us later!" Anthony shouts out after me.

"I'll think about it!" I exclaim, pressing the down arrow button on the wall. A soft ding could be heard as the doors opened. I step into the lift and turn to face the closing doors. I reach out once more to press a button. This time it's labeled 'B'. The B stood for basement, I believe, but it very much so was not that.