Ava | Chap. 33

I woke up to the sound of gentle steps, all the while my face and arms were tickled by the touch of a warm pelt. I yawned, and outstretched my arms.

Morning Luna. Cade's voice echoed over the link, and I instantly recognized the blond Wolf to be him as he gazed over his shoulder with a wolfy grin.

It all came back to me. After hours of travelling, I could barely stand on my feet. But Ciel insisted we continue overnight so Cade allowed me to rest on his back while we travelled. Although my entire body felt sour as a rock, I was grateful I was able to get a little sleep.

I chuckled. Morning.

I gazed around and spotted Jace, still unconscious and arms dangling from Winston's sides. I could hear his teeth clank with shivers and he looked incredibly pale. I honestly couldn't tell if his condition had gotten worse, but he definitely wasn't getting any better.

Kira was by Cade's side so I gazed towards her. "How's Jace?"

She groaned. "He hasn't gotten any worse, but his condition certainly isn't getting better either."

Well, guess I was right. I nodded and once again felt my Wolf whimper with worry. I gently reassured her, although I still questioned why she was so fond of Jace, despite the obvious fact he's her mate. It's curious when you think of it; despite how low he thinks of us, and how many times he's screamed or hit us, she still loves him... that's something I will never understand.

I'll just have to learn to live with it.

I focused my intention to Ciel who was casually walking ahead of the pack. I gently pat Cade's shoulder and he leaned forward, allowing me to step down. I thanked him with a quick scratch to the neck then walked to Ciel's side. I felt my Wolf groan when I reached the Elf's side, which sent off a few alarms. She seemed... uneasy around him, which almost made the hair on the back of my neck stand. I personally didn't feel any discomfort but could it be the feud between our species?

"How long before we arrive to your village?

- Not too long now. We should arrive a little before dusk, if your friends don't slow us down any longer." My Wolf growled once more, but I asked her to quiet down.

I nodded at Ciel's words, then moved on to the question that had been lingering at the back of my mind. "Hey, uhm... Why did you save me, back there?"

He didn't respond, which at first made me think he hadn't herd me. But when I opened my mouth to ask again, Ciel beat me to it. "Now's no time for questions. We must focus on the path ahead." He sped up and took a few steps ahead of me before returning to a normal pace.

I sighed to myself. He's a ray of sunshine... suddenly uncomfortable, I decided to search for someone to keep me company during this seamless never ending walk. I looked to Cade by reflex but realized he was in the middle of a conversation with Alexandra, who's belly seem to grow by the day, so did her appetite. Kira said she'd have another seven to eight months before the baby was born.

I turned my attention to Angel but I didn't really know her too well and she was with Ryder and Winston, the giant still carrying Jace. To be honest, Ryder seemed kind of a jerk and I was a little intimidated by Winston. He did seem pretty nice though...

I herd my Wolf whimper, and realized she had turned her attention to Zed. He seemed distracted or like something was bothering him. Unless my Wolf is simply falling for another Wolf... which shouldn't be possible considering Jace is her mate... is she simply pitying Zed? That's when our previous conversation surfaced in my mind and made me realize how harsh I sounded back there... I mean, yes he has acted pretty creepy before and I did think he was a total pervert at first but... at the end of the day, he's been really nice to me and seems like he genuinely wants to help. That or I' being too naïve, yet, I couldn't bring myself to leave him like this.

Maybe I was a little too hard on him after all. Considering I didn't really know how to break the tension, I approached Zed - very awkwardly- while I tried to come up with a conversation starter. Before I knew it though, I found myself walking at his side, twirling my hair around my fingers.

"Zed... can you... uhm. I'd like you to take a few Wolves and do a quick patrol." His icy eyes averted to look at me, but he didn't really seem to respond. Oh my Selene, why did I have to make this a hundred times more awkward!?

"We aren't being followed." Zed replied, his voice sharp and mundane. "Ryder and a few other scouts have kept all our senses sharp since we departed from camp. Of course, no need to take my word for it." That last phrase felt like a punch to the guts. I must've really messed things up back there...

"Zed, I didn't mean to hurt you... I-

- No, it's fine. You're my Luna and I need to remember my place." 'What... what does he mean, know his place!? I never meant to break him!' "If there isn't anything else-

- Wait, please. Can we... can we at least talk?

- Ava!" My attention was brought to the head of the group where Ciel had halted the pack. Although I really didn't want to end Zed and I's conversation on such a sour note, I had to attend to Ciel.

I quickly trotted to the Elf's side, wondering what could've caused us to stop. "What's going on?

- Tell your pack to stay here. There's a few guards I need to alert; unless you want your friends to be killed where they stand." The way Ciel pronounced that last phrase gave me chills and caused my Wolf's fur to stand.

Before I could place a word, Ciel disappeared from sight in the brush and left us alone in the middle of this foreign forest. Instantly, the area became dead silent which triggered all kinds of alarms. I asked my Wolf to front, and borrowed her heightened senses to scan the area.

Nothing. Not a single trace of wild life.

I stepped back and Cade must've detected a trace of my fear since he quickly walked up to my side.

Cade... I have a bad feeling about this. I spoke over the link, all the while keeping a sharp eye out for any movement.

That's when I noticed the multiple figures surrounding us as they slowly rose from the brush, bows and arrows pulled and pointed at our heads.

CIEL

-*-

Please consider leaving a VOTE and a COMMENT!