They Are Loved Deeply

James Potter I

His hooved feet left a deep indent in the soft dirt. Prongs trekked leisurely through the forest, simply basking in the lovely sunlight and the peaceful sanctuary. Tomorrow was going to be a full moon and he needed some time alone to relax and feel his form before Moony's transformation began. He did this before every full moon, took some time to himself, that is. It was his seventh year at Hogwarts and even though he had been an Animagus for quite some time, it was always an exciting feeling to completely transform and become something else.

He thought he was alone, but the crunch of the leaves behind him said otherwise. Eyes widening like a him in headlights, Prongs swiveled around to face whatever was waiting for him. To his surprise, he was greeted by the wonderful sight of red hair and green eyes. It was the love of his life.

"Hi, deer," Lily Evans cooed at him.

Prongs grunted in response and stomped a hoof in the ground, excited to see her, but also curious as to why she was so deep in the forest.

"You're probably wondering why I'm here." Lily cautiously walked to the stag, careful not to spook him away. "I just needed some space to clear my mind."

Prongs leaned his long neck towards the girl, allowing her to place her hands on his fur. She complied and Prongs preened under her touch.

"You see, deer." Lily continued to pet Prongs's fur. "I am kind of in a dilemma."

Prongs grunted as if asking what was wrong, so Lily explained. "I like this guy. I think I've liked him for a little while now and I keep trying to find the right moment to tell him, but I always get to chicken." Lily looked at the stag and joked, "Maybe I should buck up and be brave, don't you think?"

Prongs shook his antlers and let out a sound of mourning. He didn't want Lily to ask another guy out. He wanted Lily to love him.

"Calm down!" Lily backed away from the moving stag. "I know my pun wasn't great, but you don't have to be mean about it!"

Prongs rolled his head in a circle. His expression portraying his utter disbelief at her unknown betrayal.

Despite the signs of Prongs being unstable, Lily neared the stag once more and pet his shoulder area. Leaning in for a hug, she placed her head on his neck and said, "For a long time, I've tried to deny my feelings, but all that did was make them grow more and now what I want more than anything is to just be with him. I guess what I'm really trying to say is: James Potter, will you be my boyfriend?"

Prongs stilled completely while Lily grinned, backing away from the creature and crossing her arms. Slowly but surely, Prongs began his transformation back into James. His hooves became feet, his eyes getting smaller, and his fur reverting back to skin, until Lily was met face-to-face with James Potter in all his human glory.

They stared at each other in silence, until James broke it. "How did you know it was me?"

"How could I not?" Lily replied, walking nearer to the boy. "I've never met a deer with that much personality. I can be very observant." She reached towards James and helped fix his tie which had become lopsided during his transformation.

"How long have you known?" James asked.

"Does it matter?"

"When I was Prongs..." James ruffled the back of his head in a way that once drove Lily mad. "You said you.... well, you said..."

She grinned, watching him blubber. "I did say that."

"Did you mean it?"

"Depends on what your answer is," said Lily shyly.