SIMULA

"Hello, I'm Dr. Delgado. I'm a surgeon from Altadegracia Medical Hospital. I was called in here for a consult." I said as I show her my badge from the other facility.

"Hi, Doc! Can I ask who's the patient so I could give you the details po?" the young lady asked.

I gave her the patient information and she called someone, probably the unit where the patient is currently at. While she is busy doing her thing, I could not help but to look at the interior to the hospital building.

There has been a lot of changes compared to the last time I have been here. The lobby turned bigger and I could easily say how much improvement happened. And just as what I have expected when I decided to agree with the consult, I will probably bump into my former colleagues.

"Oh look who we have here!" A man on his white coat holding his cup of coffee, walking with another physician as they are discussing the patient's chart. It felt like yesterday when I see Nathan with his good old positive attitude.

"Dr. Veradona," I greeted him.

"Dr. Delgado," Nathan greeted back. The other doctor excused himself and said he will just meet with Nathan afterwards. As soon as his colleague took off, it was like he turned into a whole new different person. "Grabe, kamusta ka na?!"

"I'm okay, I am great. Ikaw ang kamusta?" Ngumiti ako sa kaniya.

"Eto fellowship pa nga," He chuckled. I just realized, it's been that long since we talked. Nathan is an anesthesiologist and he's now doing his fellowship. I was about to respond to him when the lady on the front desk spoke.

"I'm sorry for interrupting, doctors. Dr. Delgado, the patient is currently admitted at ICU. They are also expecting you upstairs po," she said softly.

"Oh yeah. Thank you," I smiled at her. I turned to Nathan and he spoke right away.

"I can walk you there?" He said. I was about to turn down his offer, but I didn't want him to feel like I'm avoiding a conversation with him.

"Sure, we can catch up a little bit more." I said and we started walking towards the elevator. I can't help but notice much more improvement as we walk through the halls.

"What brings you here, by the way? Babalik ka na ba?" He asked. "I'm pretty sure everyone missed having you here."

"No," I chuckled a little by what he just said. "I'm pretty sure everyone has now forgotten that I was even here for my internship. I'm just here because they tried to reached me about a patient I encountered with Dr. Torres before."

"What do you mean? Everyone in your internship group is still here. Ikaw at si Ria lang naman ang gusto kaming iwan," He said that with so dramatically before laughing. "See, they even called you here for a specific case. Pustahan tayo, everyone wants you back."

"I don't think so," I said. I'm pretty sure not everyone.

We did not even realized we are already in the unit because of our conversation. Another familiar face welcomed me when I saw Luis on the nursing station.

"Why are you here?" Luis asked in confusion.

"Good morning to you too, Dr. Vermillo." I responded. I was just with him two days ago for a dinner with our other friends and I did not get the chance to tell him about my visit to Castranuevo Medical, because I just got notified last night by our chief of surgery.

"I was just telling her that she should come back working here," Nathan spoke once again.

"You would not want to do that," Luis said. "She might take over your girl's job."

I looked at Nathan with so much confusion. Am I guessing the right thing? They just both laughed at what Luis just said.

"Hello nurse, do you have the chart for Caterina Hidalgo?" I spoke with the nurse while the gentlemen are enjoying each other's company.

The nurse looked at me with so much confusion. I forgot to introduce myself to her.

"Oh sorry. I'm from Altadegracia Med. Ako 'yung surgeon na itinawag nila kanina dito sa front desk for a consult with Mrs. Hidalgo," sabi ko.

"Oh! Pasensya na po, doc. Sandali lang po," sagot niya at nagmadaling hanapin ang chart. They also utilized electronic method of charting, but since I am not a regular physician here, I do not have an access to that.

"Wait, did you say Mrs. Hidalgo?" Luis whispered at me.

"Yes. Do you know anything about her?" I whispered back. Luis was about to respond to me when I heard the nurse spoke.

"Doctora, I don't have the chart for the patient—" She was finishing up her sentence when I heard another familiar voice coming towards our way.

"I have it," He said in such a very confident tone.

A doctor on his white coat approaching the nursing station who just came out from one of the patient rooms.

"Doctors," he nodded at Nathan and Luis to acknowledge their presence before looking at me. Both of them started moving to the side as I start my conversation with this doctor. "Dr. Delgado. You are here for Mrs. Hidalgo, correct?"

"That is correct, Dr. Montemayor." I responded to him. Why does he have her chart?

"Great," he said and handed me the chart. It didn't process to me fast enough before I took the chart from him.

"I thought she is currently under Dr. Ongpauco's care because Dr. Torres is on leave?" I asked out of confusion.

Our eyes met, but his eyes immediately went down the chart like he is avoiding looking at me. His blank stares are so cold that I couldn't even recognize him. Like we were just old schoolmates.

"That is correct. But it also indicates on the chart that she is also my patient," He said and looked at me with no emotions at all. "I hope you don't have any problems about that, Dr. Delgado."

As if we were just old colleagues.

"Absolutely, Dr. Montemayor."

"Good. Then if you could follow me and help me figure out what is wrong with her, so we get this woman out of the hospital and we can get this done immediately." He said before turning his back on me.

As if our stars never aligned.