00 | Meet You There

Breagha McKenzie's usually neat penmanship was currently no more. She had been hit with a wave of inspiration as she sat on the small terrace of her LA apartment and looked out at the sun that was rising to form a new day. The pink and amber shades swirled and mixed in the sky with each other making Breaghe appreciate the beauty of the new city that she currently resided in.

Her messy scrawl on the pages of her worn-out notebook were filled with the lyrics and notes that she hoped would make a good impression on the band that she had recently been asked to work with.

The Scottish girl had listened to their music. In fact, she had been a big fan up until a few months ago when life seemed to get in the way and listening to music for pleasure went on the backburner. Breagha knew what their typical sound was and although this new song was nothing of the same, she hoped that she could convince them to try a new sound, something a bit different.

The birds, completely unaware of the brunette girl and her need for immersing herself completely into her writing, continued to tweet melodically. It only continued to drive Breagha further into her songwriting mission, ultimately making her lose track of time.

The sun continued to rise, rising high above the skyscraper buildings that were littered across the large city. Soon, the sun would be at its peak above the city and Breagha would be late to the studio, something that she could no afford to do on her first day.

Eventually, the sound of the cars honking on the streets tore Breagha out of her songwriting trance. Startled, she immediately checked her watch, only to realise that if she was going to make it to the studio on time, she had to leave straight away.

Scrambling to pick up her untouched coffee mug and close her notebook, Breagha was in a mad rush. She was tripping over her own feet as she exited her terrace and made her way back into her cramped LA apartment. She needed to grab the bag that she had prepared the night prior and dash out of the door.

Deciding that the stairs would be quicker than the elevator, Breagha sprinted down the many flights, skipping a few of the stairs as she did so. The lobby of her building was packed, something that was rare to see but Breaghe knew that it was because the world was against her today. She weaved in and out of the many bodies that were in her way and soon, she could feel the famous LA sun against her skin and the cool breeze in her hair.

She raced down the different, bustling streets of LA, knowing the twists and turns by heart since she had the route memorised. Breagha was no stranger to bad luck and so she knew that she would end up running late. The brunette wanted to make sure that she was prepared should her luck run out.

Soon, Breagha was standing in front of the studio and as she looked down at her watch, she breathed a sigh of relief, glad to have made it with a few minutes to spare.

The short, brunette took a few deep breaths to calm her breathing after her yearly run before mustering up enough courage to walk inside the studio and help write and produce the album that 5 Seconds of Summer so desperately needed.

The studio, in comparison to the streets of LA, was cosy and the warmth engulfed Breagha's petite body, making her smile. It didn't matter where in the world she was, a studio always felt like home to her. Whether she was in Scotland or on the other side of the world, where there was a studio, she knew that she was fine.

The loud, booming voices of four men echoed throughout the studio and laughs could be heard from every corner within the building. The sound caused a large smile to appear on Breagha's face, a sense of hope overcoming her. She hoped that the band would be fun and easy to work with. The last thing that she wanted was for the album writing process to be a long and unamusing process.

Just as Breagha placed her pale hand against the cool metal of the door handle that would lead her into the main room of the studio, the one where they would do all of their songwriting, it burst open.

"Would you shut the hell up?! I'm not-" The man stopped talking, his tall stature towering over Breagha and the scent of his Calvin Klein aftershave filling up her lungs, intoxicating her and placing her into a trance.

"Shit, sorry. I didn't see you-" His Australian accent, although slightly hidden by an American twang, broke through the silence and apologised profusely.

"It's fine. It's totally fine. Nothing to worry about here." The smaller girl allowed herself to interrupt the man, not wanting him to worry himself about something that didn't need to be worried about.

"I'm Calum." He stuck his hand out for her to shake. He was intrigued by her accent and her inability to stop herself from speaking. The faintest hint of a smirk made its way onto his face as he looked down at her.

"Breagha." Her pale hand met with his tanned and much larger one, shaking it.

Without another word said between the two of them and Calum assuming her identity, he lead her through to meet the other boys.

Their walk together was short but Calum still found himself looking back at Breagha. Her features were beautiful. She had soft, doe eyes the colour of chocolate. Her pale Scottish skin accentuated perfectly by her brunette hair that didn't even reach her shoulders.

Breagha didn't notice the stolen glances that Calum was giving her. She was far too focused on the way that he walked. His long legs taking strides more than twice the size of her own. There was an air of confidence surrounding him but nothing that made him seem cocky. His leather jacket clung to him perfectly and it was probably hiding a few tattoos and his hair was scruffy but in a way that it made him look irresistible.

The walk was cut short though. The corridor that lead them towards the other boys was short and cramped. As quickly as the walk had started, it was over and Breagha was standing in front of four, very tall and very attractive men. Men that she was going to be working with for the foreseeable future.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*
a/n: so I finally managed to write a new chapter for this book today so I've decided to give you all a new update!

I'm touching up this book as I go along, something that I don't often do so I think I've read through it several times and I can't lie, I really like it? I don't want to sound big headed or full of myself but I haven't felt this way about my writing in a long time.

I also forgot to add in the introduction how you pronounce her name! The word 'brèagha' is actually Scots Gaelic for beautiful or pretty and the name 'Breagha' is the adaptation for naming sakes that means 'Beautiful Girl'. It's pronounced 'Breeah'. I hope that clears up any confusion! And if you see any typos such as 'Breaghe' or 'Breathe', it's because autocorrect doesn't recognise Breagha as a name.

What music have you been listening to?
- my Spotify has been stuck on my 5sos playlist for weeks and there's been some Nina Nesbitt thrown in there too with her new song, 'Life's A Bitch' which I reccomend. I still have to listen to Alessia Cara's new album as well!

Enjoy and stay safe!

Lots of love, e x

Edited: 6th April 2021
Published: 8th October 2021