crush

At the young age of five Henry Bass had already had his heart stolen without even realizing it.

She had Brown, long hair gathered in ponytails that could not prevent some strands from falling on her face in a graceful and elegant way, clear and clean eyes unable to lie, white but not excessively white skin, slightly tanned by the sun of the recent summer of which there were still some memories in the form of grains of sand or swimming pools in lotus flower and clubs and exclusive parties that they were strictly forbidden to attend until they had been presented in society. He wore the school uniform that was always wrinkled and dusty, full of dirt from the swings, at the end of each day; She was slim, her legs gave the impression of barely supporting the rest of her body, but she always managed to run faster than the rest of the girls; lively and energetic, sometimes somewhat hysterical, with an innate lightness and a smile always on her lips, fine features that always denoted some emotion and an incredible facility to cry and laugh (which she managed to do from time to time) for whatever reason. Pure innocence. Her freckles lined perfectly across her nose.

He saw her coming from the hand of a stern woman who must have been his mother, with such a natural bearing for being the daughter of someone important (too natural) that it almost made him ashamed to have her thick brown hair combed to one side with the A stripe on the right side and a tie totally matching the mandatory uniform that he would have to endure every day for many years.

He noticed that she did not answer any question in class even though it was specifically directed towards her, she seemed distracted and looked dreamily at the playground, perhaps wishing she could get out there as soon as possible and not take any more boring lessons. It was strange. It was different. It was special.

He will never forget the day she spoke to him for the first time, with self-confidence and enthusiasm, inviting him to play with her and her friend, and he accepted without suspecting that the true purpose of that invitation was that the other had noticed him. Henry did not dislike that brunette girl with curly dark hair and big brown eyes, I could almost say that he liked her, and surely in time they could have become good friends, but just that.

Mary-Jacquline Mendes was pretty, delicate and quite a doll but for his taste too cold and distant, too suspicious and if you could talk about something that he had always been, it was trusting. He never knew how, but at the end of the day he already had a girlfriend (or the term that best fits a childish and uncommitted relationship at least).

henry smiled sadly at his reflection remembering how his story with MJ mendes had started. Eleven years, five months, and twenty days. That was the time he had been with her, the time he had not known how to leave her, for fear of hurting her irreparably. It's not that he didn't love her, he loved her, maybe she was one of the people he loved the most in the whole world, but not like that, not that way.

And what are you supposed to do when love is over? What are you supposed to do when there's never been love?

"If you don't want MJ, then go for Lucy. It's really that simple, Henry." His best friend, Jacob said. Nowadays he kept pushing him to just leave MJ and pursue Lucy. He had no idea why but it seemed strange.

He sighed and shook his head in the direction of Lucy who was clearly drunk and dancing without heels with a crystal goblet in hand, he couldn't help but smile, and this time for real; Maybe one of the things he liked the most about her was her ability to attract attention both without trying and doing it, her way of breaking each of the rules to which they are bound and remaining charming, as she managed to do despite starring in the biggest scandals in New York, people of high society continued to adore her. He would have liked to lift her in his arms and dance with her, take her away, away from this boring wedding in which she was the only light that shone in the environment; but he represses his instincts because he knows what can happen to give in to them.

And he remembers Genesis, sin and redemption, Eve, Adam and the apple; And if that turns Lucy into the forbidden fruit, a juicy, shiny red apple that he is dying to bite into, then he better not taste a bite. And although in this case Eva also turns out to be a woman with Dark hair and fleshy red lips, it is certainly not she who encourages him to eat the apple. But Henry considers it a stupid act, and more coming from someone as smart as his girlfriend who has always looked at them with suspicious eyes, the advice to take lucy with him so that she can give him some air and can clear up before Maureen considers another drunk. more is the drop that spills the glass.

"Come on. Come down from there. We can't be here." He replies when the brunette lets go of his hand and climbs on the bar in search of more bottles of alcohol. And he keeps insisting over and over that they should leave before someone comes and discovers them; but he doesn't do it with much enthusiasm either because he knows that finally, after so long, he is where he wants to be and with whom he wants to be, and he also knows that it is not very chivalrous to take advantage of someone who is drunk but cannot prevent her hands from lifting the dress light colored entangling it around her thighs as she steps down from the bar to fall directly into his arms, where she has always belonged;

At the young age of five, Henry Bass had already had his heart stolen, and he has yet to recover