Bookshop Robbery

Aziraphale had been back to work for about a month now. It was good to be back among all of his books and their comforting smell. But the best part about returning to work was that his newborn daughter, Eden, was his companion. Not only that, his husband Crowley was there almost constantly as well to help with the baby and the shop.

It was now closing time and Aziraphale, with little Eden in his arms, closed the shop and we're now sitting in the backroom, waiting for Crowley to return with dinner. Eden had just finished nursing when there was the sound of shattering glass. Aziraphale placed the baby in her crib and rushed out to the front of the shop. There was a grungy man at the cash box and he was stuffing the money into a cloth bag.

"Excuse me, that's not yours!" Aziraphale huffed. The man glared at him and something struck him in the back of the head.

Crowley had picked up the take out but all of that was forgotten when he saw the bookshop's doors were wide open...and he heard Eden crying....

Crowley dashed inside the shop and found his husband lying on the ground in a heap with a deep gash on the side of his head and the sound of strange voices coming from the back room.

"What is it?" asked one of the strange men.

"It's a baby you nit!" snapped the other.

"What kind of baby has eyes like that? What kind of eyes are those? Cat eyes?"

The men had entered the backroom to try to silence the infant but we're immediately captivated by the baby's strange blue eyes.

"Don't matter. Maybe we can hold her for ransom....the bookshop owner looks rich..." He didn't get to finish his sentence. A giant black serpent sank his hooked fangs deep into his shoulder and yanked him away from the crib and the crying baby.

The other man whipped out his gun and tried to shoot but the serpent was too quick and tripped him with his tail.

Crowley's vision was just a red haze. They hurt his angel. His husband. His daughter was scared and crying. All it would take was a few more inches and the scum in his teeth would be dead and the other he could choke with hardly any effort.

But he knew that Aziraphale wouldn't want this.....his vision cleared and he dragged the men, who had now fainted, out into the nearest alley.

He turned back into his regular form and grabbed the bag of money and dashed back to the shop.

He ran to the back room and scooped up Eden, "Hey hey hey....shhhh.....shhh. I'm here. They're gone. It's okay. It's okay." He checked for any sign of injury and sighed in relief when he found none.

He hugged her close and trembled as he dashed back out to Aziraphale. "Angel, please....please...hang on..."

Aziraphale's head was throbbing. He heard Eden crying and suddenly he remembered the robbery. His eyes flew open and he called out, "Eden!"

"Hey, lie still angel, you took a nasty blow to your head..." Crowley came into Aziraphale's line of vision with little Eden.

"Is she alright?" Aziraphale rasped as he met Crowley's concerned gaze. He looked like he had been crying too.

"She's fine, they didn't touch her...I made sure of that." He placed the baby on Aziraphale's chest and the angel wrapped his arms protectively around her. "Don't cry Little One...I'm alright....just a little bump on the head." He kissed her soft curls and murmured, "Don't be afraid."

Eden seemed to be soothed by his words and calmed down within seconds.

Crowley ran a hand through Aziraphale's hair, "I thought I lost you again."

"Crowley..."

"I should've just miracle the food, then I could have been here to protect you both..."

"Crowley, don't, it's alright now. We're both safe thanks to you." Crowley was silent, his gaze fixed on his family.

"What did you do to those young men?" Aziraphale asked.

"I left them in the alley. If I ever see their faces again, I won't be so merciful." Crowley snarled.

"Oh Crowley." Aziraphale murmured as he ran a hand through Crowley's fiery red hair.

"Ngk." said Crowley.

After that horrible night, Crowley put a ward over the bookshop, which made everyone who would come, would either give the place a wide berth entirely or not stay very long.

The main function was to keep those with any ill intent or ill will from entering the shop.

Aziraphale was fine with that.

The less people the better.