One

"Why are you wearing two hats?"

I sit myself down next to the boy in the black T-shirt, looking at him curiously. He turns, and looks at me like I'm crazy. I shrug, and point at his head.

He looks up and giggles, slightly shaking his head, almost as if he had forgotten that he was wearing the party hats in the first place. "Oh, this? It's my friend's birthday." He points at his friend across the table from us. He's cute.

"You're friend isn't wearing two hats, in fact, he isn't wearing a hat at all. I think your friend may think you look a bit silly, but the hat is shiny, so I like it." I smile widely.

I normally wouldn't do this sort of thing. Randomly sit at a table of guys that I don't even know, on a Sunday afternoon. In a bar that's actually a boat. I wasn't drunk though, well, not very, but I was extremely tired.

I had been in Sydney for four days, and I hadn't slept since I'd arrived. I wasn't sure if it was my insomnia, or just the jet lag, but after a while my brain sort of snaps. It becomes too overtired, and forgets about the filter between my thoughts and my mouth.

I honestly fear being tired more than I do from being drunk. When I'm drunk I love everybody. When I'm tired on the other hand, I don't really have that. It's pure, in your face, honesty.

"What's your name? You're cute. I like your nose. I've lost my friend." I take a breath looking around the bar. "Can I borrow your ashtray?" I look back at him. He doesn't look too happy. "I'm sorry, I'll go, I didn't mean to bother you."

I get up to leave, and he grabs my arm, "are you okay?"

"Yeah." I nod quickly. "Don't worry about me, I'm just tired. It's fine."

He motions towards the seat I had just gotten up from. I quickly sit back down, taking out my cigarettes, and putting one to my lips before lighting it.

"My name's Luke." He points to his friend from before. "That's Cal, and we also have Josh, Dylan, Leighton and Jack" he points at the guys around us, in turn.

Good luck trying to remember those tomorrow, I tell myself. My memory isn't the best when I'm overtired. "This could get confusing. My name's Dylan, too." I smile then look at Dylan, "my dad is a big Bob Dylan fan. I'm still not sure if he's disappointed that I'm a girl or not, but I'm not very girly, so I think it's okay."

Suddenly, I hear my named being called. I look behind me and see my friend coming towards me. She quickly sits next to me, "I've been looking for you for like 20 minutes! I thought you'd gone overboard or something."

"Oh, Dee." I laugh at my friend, she's so over dramatic sometimes. She can handle my crazy though, so I love her all the same. "Well, as you can see, I'm not overboard, and I've been here the whole time. Sort of. I met these pretty guys though." I point at the guys around the table. "They kept me here, you know." I lean into her, whispering not so quietly. "Oh shut up," I grab her arm when I remember why they're here. "It's Cal's birthday." I point at him over the table, "isn't he pretty?"

She blushed at my openness, and swiftly apologises for my lack of 'filter'.

We talk for a bit more, finding out Cal's birthday isn't actually today but only at the end of the month. They're celebrating the whole month though, as it's his 21st. We ordered a few more drinks, and I struggled to introduce her to the guys. I had forgotten Leighton's name already, and I apologised for my terrible memory due to being so tired.

"Hey, let's go to the beach tomorrow." I quickly say to Dee. "But somewhere quiet. I don't really feel like being around too many people."

"Sure, but where?" She shrugs, whilst taking a sip of her drink.

I shake my head as a reply. Not having any idea.

My eyes lock on Josh as I see him smiling over at Cal, and nodding. "We know a great beach, and it's pretty quiet. Practically deserted. We could all go, if you want?"

Dee and I nod at each other, and I, being as awesome as I am, manage to climb over the table without knocking over a single drink, or empty glass, sitting on Josh's lap. "Are you going to try and kill us?" I ask in an amused way.

"No." He laughs.

I give him a tap against his chest, and move back over next to Luke. He seems quieter than the others, but he has a nice presence about him. He leans over to me, and whispers, "are you going to try and kill us?"

I smile, and look at him, whispering back causally, "let's just say... you're all very brave." He looks at me, and I can tell he's not quite sure if I'm joking or not. I giggle taking one of the party hats from his head, and putting it on my own. "No, Luke. We're not going to try and kill you!"