CHAPTER 1: Josephine Hayes

"Oh, you won't believe who I've met last night!" My Mother boasts.

"Let me guess, Another man who thinks they know you more than you know yourself?" I sighed.

"Well, not exactly. But I did find a man."

"Mom. Let's face it, no one gets you more than dad. Why can't you ever let him back into our lives?"

Mom frowned as she stares past me for some reason.

"Your Father and I won't ever work out. Stay out of it, please? For my sake?"

I can't help it. All I want is my Dad in my life. What more could I ask for?

I watched as she excitedly fancied all the other short-cut black dresses in the aisle. I wondered about the guy she was seeing. What was he like and most importantly, did he truly love my complicated Mother?

"You're overthinking."

"Huh? What?" Felt like I snapped back into reality.

"He makes me feel special. Not even your Father reached that level." She says firmly.

"So, when are you going to see this guy?"

"Maybe tonight."

I looked away and sighed.

"What? What's that sigh all about?" She asks me.

"I just wish.." I begin, trying to think of what I'm gonna say.

She raises her eyebrows as she watches me closely.

"Whatever."

"You should say whatever you were gonna say!" She looked disappointed.

"Mom stop it, we're at a mall!" I whisper loudly.

She just smiles and heads over to the cashier with the black laced dress she picked out. I can't figure out if she seemed genuinely happy or if she's secretly dreading this whole idea and wants to call it quits. Besides, plenty of guys dump her due to her lack of self control and the fact that she's just too damn sensitive and damaged. I gotta admit, I miss everything about my Mom. I truly wanted to relive those precious moments where she would take Pierson and I to a nice family picnic on top of Crepside Hill. She is everything to me. She was strong and independent, She was Josephine Hayes.

"Lana! Come grab my phone and call Pierson. Tell him we're on our way and-"

"Got it Mom." I interrupt.

She looks at me with worrisome eyes and I smile at her painfully, only slightly.

"I still love you." She Mouths at me.

I step outside to give Pierson a call while mom's fumbling through her purse at the cashier counter.

"Hello?"

He had a sleepy voice.

"What? Were you sleeping the whole time?? Wake up!"

I could hear him rolling off his bed.

"What time is it? Why aren't you guys home yet?" He asks, half asleep.

"We'll be home soon. I'm gonna hang up ok?" I ask.

"Alright" I hear him say through the phone as he shuffles to the bathroom.

I hung up.

I could hear the sound of my Mom's  heels as she approaches the car.

"I Forgot that you have school tomorrow" Mom sighs.

"Yeah, I do. What's with the sigh? Ahah"

"Just wanted you to help me decorate the house for Pierson's birthday." She smiles.

I thought hard about it at first. Pierson was just too uncomfortable with surprise parties. Besides, he's grown. He has his own life now. He's in a complicated relationship with Maya, which I hate. He has hundreds if not thousands of friends and he'd hate mom's guts if she does throw a surprise party and expects him to celebrate that instead of going out.

"Mom, he's 19. Pretty sure he'd just go out partying with his friends instead of-"

"No." Mom interrupts.

I watch her get in the car and put the key into the ignition. She sticks her head out of the car window.

"You coming? Let's talk about it while driving home, hm?" She suggests.

I shrug and get in the car anyway.

Silence overtakes the car as we're driving on the freeway. I low-key wish I wasn't here. I hate seeing my Mom look so let down. She tries switching lanes until the car behind her starts honking at her.

"Alright, alright, shut up!" Mom yells as she grips onto the steering wheel tightly.

"I guess we won't talk about it?"

She glances at me and then back at the busy street ahead.

"I'll surprise him if I want. I'm his mother, I really want to make it special for him. I love him."

"And you do! Not doing a party doesn't mean you don't love him, mom." I try my hardest to explain.

"I love him. I want him to KNOW that. He always believes I favor you over him."

"Mom..." I begin.

"No. I'm doing it. I'm so doing it." Her Mother's voice cracks.

I stay quiet. Didn't wanna make things even more complicated than they already are and the whole car ride seemed emotional altogether.

* * * * * * * * *