before the rise must come the fall

background: dream, george, sapnap, wilbur, karl, alex and y/n share a youtube channel known as the smp gang, and create content weekly for it. they all live in the same city.

-

It took her by surprise. One minute Alex was attempting to dribble the soccer ball and the next he was on his back, looking at the decidedly grey skies. Nick laughed as he neatly rolled the ball back and continued running with it. Alex went to stand up and let out an involuntary cry of pain. He hadn't noticed before how his ankle was at an odd angle, and now he closed his eyes tightly, willing the pain away.

"Alex? You alright?" Then Karl was there, happy little Karl. He was leaning over Alex in concern, and Alex saw the worry etched onto his face when he opened his eyes.

"My foot." Karl's eyes ran down Alex's figure and he screamed.

"What the hell?" He shrieked as he stepped away. "Don't move, Alex. That looks really bad. Clay! Hey, Clay! Call an ambulance!" Tears leaked down Alex's face and he moaned in pain. He hadn't felt pain like this before, not even when he rode his bike off a small cliff and smacked into a telegraph pole. His mind was running a mile a minute, and he kept his mind focussed on the sky above. He pondered about what one of the clouds looked like. If he was honest, it looked a bit like Y/n.

"Guys! Stop playing for Gods sake!" Clay shouted at the offenders when he took off to check on Alex.

"Why?" George was dumbfounded, and Karl groaned.

"Nick broke Alex's foot or something!" Karl most certainly wasn't a doctor, but he wasn't blind. Alex had clearly broken something. Karl stepped away from Alex as Clay arrived, and called an ambulance. Nick and George shared worried looks and when they went to look at Y/n they found that she wasn't there. She was already flying across the field towards their injured friend.

"That's the quickest I've seen Y/n run. Wait, the only time I've seen Y/n run." George chortled as Nick and himself followed Y/n. Nick wasn't laughing as they reached Alex. Hot tears were leaking out of his eyes, and he sounded like an injured puppy. Y/n wasn't helping.

"Dear Lord, please let Alex survive-" She began.

"Y/n! You're scaring him! Shut up for three minutes." Wilbur cut off the girl with her hands clasped together tightly, who nodded, relieved someone had stopped her.

"It's alright, Alex. Help is coming. Get away from his foot! Are you blind, or just fucking stupid?" Clay shouted as Nick took a step closer to Alex's balled up figure. Nick held his hands up in surrender.

"I'm just checking the damage! Calm your tits." He scoffed. "I'm sorry, Al. I didn't realise I'd hurt you." He continued more quietly to Alex. Y/n whirled around to look at him.

"This is your fault!" She accused Nick, who hung his head. Wilbur stopped Y/n.

"Hey! Nick couldn't have known that Alex would be hurt like this! Lay off with the blaming." He defended Nick, who shot him a grateful glance.

"You're joking! It's his fault! We caught it on the video, and I'll happily fucking replay it so you can see it too!" Y/n stopped yelling abruptly and sat down. Her head went into her hands and Wilbur glanced up from Alex's side.

"It's alright, N/n. She'll be fine." Karl tried to reassure his oldest friend, but Y/n couldn't be consoled.

"Tell him to shut up before Nick breaks his ankle as well." Alex muttered a weak joke in between the crying and yelping, and Wilbur laughed in relief. Alex wasn't gone yet.

"Y/n! Alex said to shut up! You're making this worse by overreacting." Wilbur shouted at the girl on the ground, who, to her credit, did shut up. Until Alex passed out from the pain, that is.

"Nick you're fucking dead!" Y/n was already diving towards her newly found enemy before George yanked her back and held her there.

"What the fuck, Y/n? Why are you being like this?" George stared at his mate, and watched the panicked look in her eyes.

"I-I don't know." Y/n swallowed thickly, and looked down. She didn't understand herself. It was just Alex. Good old, flakey Alex. Why was she so worked up?

"Y/n! Calm down! What're you doing? Alex's going to be fine, I can hear the sirens." Sure enough, ambulance sirens were sounding in the distance, growing increasingly closer till they watched the vehicle turn around the corner.

"D'you really think he'll be okay? What if he can never play again? It'll crush him." Y/n whispered, safe in Karl's arms. She was, of course, referencing to the bi-weekly sports games they had begun playing sometime last year. It had been a blast from the get-go, up until now.

"It's okay. Nothing ever stops Alex." Karl reassured his friend.

"No, I'm going to throw up. That's disgusting!" Wilbur had taken another look at Alex's foot and bolted towards the emergency vehicle.

"Helps on the way, Alex. I know you can do it." George murmured. Y/n subtly glared at him. Why was George comforting Alex anyway? Clay was George's best friend. If anyone, it should be Karl comforting Alex. Y/n realised that Karl wasn't comforting him because he was comforting her. Y/n stepped away from Karl, who looked confused.

"Help Alex instead. He's your best friend." Clay stepped in to take Karl's place and squeezed Y/n's shoulder comfortingly. George stepped aside to let Karl take his place and patted Nick's arm. Nick looked miserable, and he kept staring at Alex in regret. Y/n didn't regret yelling at Nick. Maybe that would teach him to be more careful. She couldn't stand the thought of Alex doing himself a serious injury. She thought about the look on Alex's face when he first fell, and Y/n sunk to the floor. There, she buried her head in her hands, hiding her face. When the tears leaked down her face, none of the smp gang, as they referred to themselves, knew that Y/n was experiencing a deeper pain level than any of them had felt before.