3. Family or work?

~ Lily ~

Returning home from the cafe, everyone was silent. My family was completely lost in thought. And I know which ones, because I've been thinking about it too ...
" Family or work?» "that's the question I kept asking myself on the way home. I knew I would have to say goodbye to my family for months to come...

But I've wanted this for so long. I wanted to be back on the set. To feel that damn pleasant tiredness again after a hard day's work. New friends, new communication, new off-screen jokes... How I wanted it!
But family... I don't want to leave them for a minute longer. I want to be with them, with my family. To help my mother in the kitchen, to lie with my father in an embrace in the evening, at the TV screen, to play with my niece, at night to talk about everything with my sister... And I don't care how much I will earn and how much I earn now. I'm happy and that's the main thing...

That evening, my hands were shaking, my hands were shaking, my whole body was shaking as I dialed Roberto's number. I was going to tell him I couldn't do it....
God, but that's not true! I can do anything! Just... Family is more important... Isn't that right? And that fucking script he sent me a couple of hours ago. I didn't find a single negative in it! If you only knew how hard it was for me to turn down a role in Riverdale... But I could... And the question " family or work?» I answered for myself - "family". For quite a long time, it seemed to me, Roberto tormented me with his persuasions, saying that I would not refuse, this series would really raise me and my acting career to a higher level. But no matter how hard he tried, I resisted and no one will move me from my place! Still, when Roberto gave up, he still told me where, when, and what time I needed to be if I changed my mind. "Saturday, 11: 00 a.m., Los Angeles."

And now I'm going down the stairs to please my family.

"Mom, Dad, Tessa," I said, " I need to tell you something..." - Having said these words, I felt as if a stone had been lifted from my soul. But the further reaction of my family, completely knocked me out of the rut.

- Whaaaaat?!?!? - they all shouted it at the same time. Only Tessa added later:

- Please repeat what you just said?!?! God, sister, are you crazy??? Call me quickly and tell me you've changed your mind!!!

"No, Tess, I'm sorry, but I'm not doing this. I've already made up my mind - I want to be with my family!

"Lili, did you hear what your sister told you?" "my dad said it a little too sternly.

"Yes, Dad, I did, and now what?" I won't call anyone, period! I'm not 15 when you told me what to do! I'm 20 after all! I am not small and this is my final decision! And you know, I thought that you would be squeaking with joy here, because I did all this just for us and our family, because I know how much you don't want me to go back to acting! - at these words, I ran to my room with tears in my eyes, closing the doors, and not for nothing, just a couple of minutes later my mother knocks on me, who by the way did not say a word at the table.

- Sweetheart, open up, please, you did not have time to hear my opinion - with sadness in her voice, she said.
I didn't know what to do now, there was a fire raging inside of me in several hundred hectares, and only my mother could put it out. That's why I opened the door for her.
She went in in silence. We stood there for a few seconds, just looking at each other with tears in our eyes, and then my mother came so suddenly and hugged me, so tightly, with such warmth. I felt safe in her arms. But the salt water continued to flow from my eyes. We stood there, hugging each other, for about a minute, which is how long it takes to put out this fire in me. We calmed down.

- I know how you don't want to leave your family - mom interrupted the silence - But you don't leave her at all. You're just going away for a while, and even for a long time, but believe me, I know how much you want it. Lili, my girl, I beg you, don't make hasty decisions, don't give up the role. Especially since you were offered the role of Betty! Don't you remember how crazy you were about her when you were a kid? This is your chance, babe, please, for me, for Dad, for the whole family, take it, don't miss your chance.
I just sat there and listened. I remembered all the wonderful moments from my childhood, all the wonderful memories associated with these comics...
" My God! Betty Cooper! I turned down the role of Betty Cooper herself! The idol of my entire childhood! What about the Bughead couple? I'm their biggest shipper! " - all this was spinning around in my head at breakneck speed. And then I realized that the person who was sitting across from me now, the person who had extinguished that hot anger in me, had spoken the truth.
- Oh, God! Mom, what have I done?! - I finally blurted out.
- Lily, all is not lost yet. Well, of course, if you don't call the producer in the next 5 minu...
Before I finish listening to the sentence, I was already rushing down the stairs at the speed of light for my phone and while I was running I prayed that Roberto would not find another actress for this role.

- Aaah, I did it! - I said, hanging up the phone.