The Sleepover Pt6

Teddy's POV:

I really didn't expect this, his story is so heartfelt. He has a reason to be awake at night. My reason is as good as any. After Gray finished, we've just been walking to the convenience store in an awkward silence. I guess now would be the time to tell Gray my reason. "So umm..." I started unsure of what I was saying "If it's not a bother I'll tell you what keeps me up at night." I looked at him, I'd really like to tell someone what's wrong with me, but most of the time it seems as if people are too busy to listen, maybe telling Gray will help me. "If it doesn't bother you to tell me that would be great." he replied. Taking a deep breath I began "I used to think I was at least somewhat close to the top in Eunjang. I was a real jerk, I abused what I thought I had." I glanced over at Gray to see him listening as we walked, "Then you came along and put me in my place, at the lower level. After that I was alienated from Phillip's gang, the only friend I had left me for being "weak"." I didn't look at Gray when I paused this time, I didn't want to know what he thought yet.

"For a couple of months I spent most of my time alone, I was kinda a jerk to everyone, so nobody dared to approach me. Then they started to treat me the exact same way I treated everyone, they bulled me indirectly at first, then it became more obvious, and then completely indiscreet at all." Gray's face was emotionless, a blank slate. Nevertheless, I continued hoping to cheer him up with my last bit "Then Eugene came along, I got a cat, and I have a new best friend. And if you think about it, it's all thanks to you. I was able to get rid of some trash and get some great friends. The nightmares used to be worse, but now that I've met all of you, and I sorta consider myself apart of your gang, they are really rare. I guess having friends really helps." 

I looked back at Gray, who seemed to perked up a bit. We walked in silence for just a moment more before he said "Sorry, you had to go through all that." I turned to look at him but his eyes seemed to be glued to the ground. I smiled, "It's ok, I was being a jerk." He hesitated for a moment before answering with "Your a lot better now, and I enjoy your presence." The way he said that with such seriousness and without laughing, made me laugh a little.

He smiled. It was then I realized that I hardly ever see Gray smile, and when he does he lights up a little bit. I wonder how often he smiled in middle school with Stephen before his accident. He was probably a really bright person. To think that all that could be reduced to ashes just by a handful of people, they reall-. Gray broke me from my thoughts by tugging on the sleeve of my hoodie. I looked up and after a long, depressing, walk filled with the stories of the past, we had made it to the convenience store.

We didn't really spend long in there, we really only came for the journey not the destination. We walked back and chatted about simple things, like how Gray hates the cold or how I'm really bad at math. The small talk didn't really matter, it was just to preserve the freshness and happiness of the atmosphere. By the time we got back it was 4:27, we entered using Ben's key. As expected nobody was awake, setting the food on the coffee table we both went back to sitting backs against the wall. Gray opened his phone and reveled an online textbook, his previous actions all made sense now. I wondered if I could tease him like I would with Rowan, "I thought Ben said you couldn't bring any means of education." Gray smirked and replied "What he doesn't know won't hurt him." 

This is when I decided, I should stay friends with Gray. We're similar and probably could have been friends since the beginning of the year if I hadn't been such a screw up. I guess it's time to add another person to the list of friends. fin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this is the end of my first short story, YAY. So this story was a lot long than intended, but I think it was worth the extra effort. My next story is going to be a bit shorter. I decided to wrap it up today because I had another story idea. Have a lovely day y'all and thank you so much for reading.