Chapter 4: Dafan Mountain

Wei Wuxian sees him. He arrives just in time to save the day. He has Bichen by his side and his guqin on hand, playing a clear note. White, mourning clothes, perfectly styled hair, ribbon headband in place.

It's like no time has passed but it also is like a lifetime after.

At that moment, Wei Wuxian forgets he ever died. Lan Zhan is there, matured but also not aged.

He forgets he himself no longer wears the same face.

 For Wei Wuxian is like nothing has changed.

Except that everything has.

A chorus of "Hanguang Jun's" from the Lan disciples wakes him up from his reverie. He sees Lan Wangji has all under control.

Like always.

He remembers that a lifetime has actually rolled past.

And so must he.

He runs.

Because he wants to keep his life, he tells himself, the marks are gone, anyway.

Or maybe because he is a coward.

He shuts his thoughts down. The ones that not only hunt him about Lan Zhan but also those of the Wens, Wen Ning, Wen Qing, A-Yuan, the Jiangs, Jiang Cheng, his Shijie...

He closes his eyes and tries to get the donkey he stole to go faster. The donkey is stubborn.

Just like you. A voice tells him.

He travels for uninterrupted hours, makes stops when absolutely needed, discovers the donkey has a thing for apples, and ends up in a mountain.

~¤~¤~¤~

It's like his past won't leave him alone.

He never thought he would see Jiang Cheng again, much less this soon after coming back. 

Is the brat in yellow robes, whom he currently has on the ground with a talisman on his back, his nephew?

He doesn't even dodge the sword coming at him when blue spiritual sword energy intercepts it.

Of all days, why are you all here today?

"Hanguang Jun, your reputation really does you justice. You go wherever chaos is. And I thought with your current situation, you would have stopped looking... Unless I'm mistaken and you're here to steal thunder from the younger generation?"

Lan Wangji remains silent, seemingly untouched by the taunting.

"I heard you traveled a lot these past ten years. Well, not so much these past three..." Jiang Cheng appears like he wants to continue, but the head disciple takes that moment to step in.

"Sect Leader Jiang, night hunts have always been fair between all sects and clans. However, Young master Jin casting nets all over Dafan Mountain has made it difficult for other cultivators, given how easy it is to fall into these traps. I believe that is against the rules."

His voice is firm and always respectful, not a sign of condescending tone anywhere. Wei Wuxian definitely admires the kid for standing up to someone like Jiang Cheng despite being just a disciple.

Jin Ling begins to defend himself but a Jiang disciple arrives, informing them of the 400 nets that... oh no.

Wei Wuxian wonders if they are going to fight right there and if that could help him escape or if they are going somewhere else. Under different circumstances, he might be worried for them, but he knows they can handle a few blows.