53

you don't belong here

"ATHENA, ARE YOU AWAKE?"

Zeus's voice came from the other side of her bedroom door and she bolted upright from her hunched-over position in the middle of the floor. "Shit," She looked around the large room her father had given her in his palace, her eyes falling to her closed door.

"Athena?"

Her father's voice comes again and she looks at her pile of messily drawn timelines across multiple pieces of paper, cursing under her breath as she scrambles to straighten herself out. "Hold on! I'm getting dressed,"

She runs into her closet, yanking a deep blue dress from the racks of clothing, and quickly throwing her pajamas off carelessly to the side. She inhaled, bending her arms to zip it all the way, her teeth gritting when she looked in the mirror to find it wasn't completely zipped.

She shook her head, letting her hair fall down to cover the haphazardly-done zipper as she ran back out of her closet. She fell to her knees in a pile of fabric and hastily stacked the papers together, shoving them under her mattress and straightening the covers over the side.

Athena picked up her dress and ran to her door, swinging it open with a breathless grin that fooled her father, much to her internal surprise and gratitude. "Hey, uh, what– what's up?"

"Iris is looking for you," He grins, eyes full of a pride that had yet to lessen in her week here. "She seems to have taken a liking to you, Athena."

"Yeah," Athena's pulse spikes and she nods, a twinge of frustration sparking in her chest. "I like her. She and Hermes are making the adjustment a lot easier, you know?"

Zeus nods, watching his distracted daughter. "She was going to come to you, but I wanted to speak to you before you went about your day,"

Her brows raise and she faces him with a curious look on her face. "Oh? What did you want to talk about?"

Zeus's brows tick momentarily and he shrugs, appearing nonchalant and ignorant to her hesitant tone. "Listen, I know it seems pretty, uh, carefree, here,"

She narrows her eyes at his odd start.

"There's a few things going on right now that I just–" He sighs, shaking his head frustratedly when he catches sight of her suspicions. "I don't want you getting mixed up in the wrong things, Athena. You've come here to be happy, and I don't want this to be like your time on Earth. That being said, in order for things to be perfect for you, I have to devote my attention to these problems. I hate to ditch you so early on, but–"

"Dad," She holds up a hand, a look of understanding on her face. "I get it. You have a duty to these people, you can't put it all on hold to help me adjust. But I'm fine, I promise. I knew what I was getting into by coming here, alright? Don't worry about me. I have all the time in the world to get comfortable."