Prologue: The Star-Crossed Lovers' First Meeting

Loki Laufeyson decided he still despised the Avengers with every fiber of his seiðr-filled being.

He hated how the Captain was so selfless and gallant.

He hated how the Hawk was so weak and caring.

He hated how the Widow was so driven and focused.

He hated how the man-monster, with all its indominable strength, was such a bleeding heart.

He hated how his adopted brother was so boorish and loud.

But most of all, he hated how the Man of Iron was so obnoxious.

"I'm just saying, if Rock of Ages was such a good magician, he would have just teleported all of us out of there before the building fell on top of us."

Loki scoffed, irritation bleeding into his voice. "Excuse me for saving your puny mortal lives. I could have left you all and teleported myself out, but instead I stayed and created a barrier that saved all of your lives. Next time, you can stay outside the shield."

"Yeah, well—"

Steve Rogers, better known as the nauseatingly-patriotic Captain America, held up his hand wearily. He had a pretty big gash on his leg, and he was in no mood for the constant bickering between the two egotistical men. "No one's blaming you, Loki."

Tony Stark—a.k.a. the rich, egocentric Iron Man—opened his mouth again. Steve glared. "No one is blaming him, Tony."

Tony huffed. "Fine."

Steve tilted his head at Loki. "Thank you for saving us."

Loki hummed, deciding not to ruin this quiet moment by explaining that he'd have happily let them all die if Odin wouldn't have punished him.

They hit a patch of turbulence, and all was silent for a minute, save the roaring wind and the creaking plane.

Clint Barton, S.H.I.E.L.D. spy and archer extraordinaire (and also someone Loki had had the pleasure of controlling with his scepter, though the man irritatingly acted like it had never happened), moaned from the pilot seat. "Either way, I'm not gonna be able to walk tomorrow. I'm too old for this crap."

Natasha Romanoff, assassin and superspy, snorted from the co-pilot seat. "Oh, quit your whining, old man. A few bruises won't kill you. You're not the one with a fractured arm," she said, rolling her eyes and holding up her bandaged limb.

Clint harrumphed, making sure they were still en route to the Tower. "If by a few bruises you mean several bruised ribs, then yeah, they won't kill me. Only hurt like hell," he muttered, shifting uncomfortably in the seat.

"Why knew superspies were such pansies?" Tony said with a groan.

Clint scowled. "Says the one with a suit of armor."

"Oh, you're just mad that you're not smart enough to work a computer, much less build AI-enhanced armor."

Clint opened his mouth in reply, but Thor Odinson (Loki's idiotic adopted brother) interrupted. "Friends, let us not quarrel like children."

Everyone ignored him. Natasha stood from her seat. "I'll show you how a pansy fights."

Steve sighed, slumping in his chair and closing his tired eyes. "I'm surrounded by children. Giant, superpowered children with pointy weapons."

Bruce Banner, human doctor and vessel of the Hulk (Loki gave him a little distance), looked like he agreed and asked softly, "Are we almost back?" Since it was past ten oclock, the sky was pitch black.