The Training Room Fiasco

Lia understood why Director Fury was called Fury.

He was angry. It wasn't a burning anger, but a frigid one, cold enough to burn even the most dauntless person.

Lia couldn't tell if he was angry at her, her father, or just her current situation. If she had to guess, maybe a little of everything.

"Talia," Fury said flatly, his one eye boring into her head.

"Director," Lia muttered back, eyes skewed to the side. The basic gray wall on her left was very interesting, barely any imperfections, save the scratch near the bottom right corner.

They stayed like this for a few seconds.

"Fury," Steve started in an attempt to break the tension.

Fury held up a hand. Steve's mouth clomped shut. "Talia and I need to have a little chat. Alone," he added after a heartbeat.

The Avengers' gazes flickered between the two uncertainly. Natasha and Clint were both gone, a mission presumably, but the rest had all gathered in the med bay after Fury had arrived, equal parts supportive and curious. Loki was there as well, more curious than anything else, Lia assumed.

Chat? Lia thought, having the same reservations as the heroes. I'm so fu—

"I'm not going to hurt her, so don't make me repeat myself," Director Fury told them, interrupting her train of thought. He blew out an annoyed breath.

The Avengers and Loki filed out quickly, not wanting to be the target of the man's ire.

Traitors, Lia couldn't help but think. Not that she blamed them. From what she knew, Fury was just a normal human without any powers, but he still managed to be the scariest person in a room full of superheroes.

Fury shook his head and dragged a chair in front of her bed. Lia winced. The screeching metal was not helping her nerves.

The director sat down and leaned forward, forcing Lia to meet his eye. She swallowed. The spy's eye was unreadable as ever.

"Why didn't you come to us for help?"

Lia blinked. Those were not the words she was expected to come out of this man's mouth. "What?"

Fury waved a hand and leaned back. "I get not coming to S.H.I.E.L.D. for help—we're not exactly the most inviting organization—"

You don't say, Lia thought with a grimace, memories of being drugged, kidnapped, and threatened surfacing. Definitely not the best first impression.

"—but why not the Avengers?"

Lia cocked her head. Where was he going with this?

"They're much more approachable, what with their hero complex and everything. You knew them well enough to tell them, and they would've been in a good position to help you."

Lia said nothing for a second, staring down at her blanket. She looked up and met Fury's eye coldly. She didn't have time for pretend consideration. "Why do you even care?"

Fury raised an eyebrow. She couldn't tell if he was surprised by her response or just calling her bluff.

"Stop beating around the bush and just say what you want to say." Lia held her breath, worried she'd pushed him too far. Fury's lips twitched.

Wait... Director Fury actually smiled. Well more of a half-smile, but Lia still had to resist the urge to rub her eyes.

"Fine." He leaned back. "I want you to become a full-time Avenger."