Chapter 1-'your just a girl'

I woke to a brig light binding my eyes, "I've been gifted another day on Earth,can I return it ?" I ask with a hint of unsatisfaction in my voice. A knock met my ears, "come in!" I yelled not wanting to deal with people this early in the morning.A set of footsteps entered as my eyes met with my mothers deadly ones. "Young Lady..." she vegans as I prepared my self "it is 8 in the morning and your still not ready,how will you ever get a husband at this rate?" She knew just how to set me off,my blood boiled as a red tint stained my checks,I didn't let a word not wanting to giver her the satisfaction of knowing she's gotten under my skin.Mother dragged me by my wrist and made her way to my closet and came out with a corset,oh how I dreaded that insufferable breath killer.She began to tighten it around my waist. "It's a wife's duty to make sure her husband is happy,opening that big mouth of yours won't do you any good" My fists clenched at her words as I let out a Yelp at the sudden tightening in my corset. "Don't I get an opinion on anything,what just because I'm a female I must stand behind some man who thinks his words mean more than mine all because of his gender" I looked in the mirror to see a stunned look on my mothers face. "Athena Emerson! how dare you speak to your mother like hat!"A voice belonging to my father came in unhidden from the shadows.My mother had tears streaming down her face,she could fill the river teams with it in within minutes. "I didn't mean to-it just came out,I wasn't thinking." Mother riser her hand and began to stitch it to her face while weeping into them "That's right,girl you never think,servant come help Mary (mother) get cleaned up"

I didn't know my gender had effected my father from calling me my name or any females name for that matter.I never liked the way my father treated his 'servants' but who would I be to dare utter a word, it would matter because I'm a female and we have no right to speak on such terms since it's not a wife's duty.I was left there,in the darkness,it was nothing new.