Pulling Threads

Two Years Earlier
They'd planned it so perfectly. Kreacher would die painlessly, and, to the eyes of anyone who examined him later, naturally. He wasn't a young house-elf, after all.
They knew, of course, that Kreacher had done one thing crucial to the war effort. It needed to be done, so they laid Regulus's locket on his chest and left him where he'd be found by the Order once their meeting was concluded.
Everett shuddered as they laid him out on the carpet of the dark hallway. The dark eyes of Kreacher's ancestors seemed to be glaring at them from their place on the stairs.
Murder, they accused.
Justice, he insisted.
Preemptive justice, his sister had said scornfully, right before she walked away from the Society. He hadn't seen her since.
Actual voices, instead of the ones that had been dancing through his head lately, grew louder. Raca gave the locket one last twist so that it would catch the light, and the two of them stepped back into the shadows that would lead them to their own world.
Dumbledore would see the locket and know what to do with it. The horcrux would be destroyed, and Sirius would be safe.
That plan might have worked better had Dumbledore not been forced to leave the meeting early to deal with an emergency. He had been gone before Everett and Raca had even arrived.
The door opened and light spilled out, carrying with it the murmur of worried voices.
"If You-Know-Who gets a hold of it - "
"Has anyone heard from Harry - "
"Sirius, are you going to be all right here?"
All of which cut off when they saw the surprisingly pitiful corpse in the floor.
For all he'd joked about it, Sirius was truly sorry the house-elf was gone. There was little that could be done for him now, but Sirius buried him in the backyard and put a small marked over the grave.
Assuming that it was some family heirloom that had been important to the elf, he buried the locket with him.