2: The Dog

"Dazai?"

"[f/n], I've brought a task for you!" The young executive exclaims with an uncharacteristic joy clashing with the rest of his demeanour. He's tense, eyes full of false light...

You can see his patience is wearing thin.

"You have blood all over you." You point out, your young eyes widened with alarm, forgetting all about reading the executive as soon as you see the thick, red liquid stained all over his shirt.

"Ah, yes. I had to deal with someone weak today...you know, you are much more obedient than him, that's why you're my favourite."

You stare at the boy, gun swinging in his hand, his own brown eye darker than ever showing no remorse for whatever punishment he's been giving. He's smiling at you, and though you know you should fear him, know that Dazai would turn against anyone, you just want to please him.

Or maybe you are afraid, afraid of his inhumanity, but what did that matter as long as he kept his promises with you?

As long as you kept being his favourite.

"What's his name?" You ask softly, pity and jealous sparking briefly in you thinking about the soul that had to train under Dazai as well, an image of a pale boy with dark hair and a demon-like ability flashing in your mind.

If only you had his name-

"What have I told you about questions? He's worthless, none of your concern. Right?"

Dazai's voice suddenly turns cold, annoyance flashing across his bandaged face, and you immediately look down. Caught up in the moment you had forgotten your place, but receiving the painful reminder of what it is you turn away and flinch at his movements as he places his gun on your bed and leans in.

You wonder if he can hear your heart beat pounding, you wonder if he can sense the fear you denied you had, but nothing happens.

When you don't say anything, staring at the floor you watched for too long as you were locked in your room, Dazai smiles again and turns away only to pull out some files, opening them up and then looking back at you.

"Now that's a good doll. Are you ready to hear our next assignment?"

For a brief second, you wonder what would have happened if you told Dazai about the small boy that made you feel the sort of pain Dazai promised he'd protect you from.

•••

Walking down the halls of the Port Mafia, following behind Akutagawa, the silence is like a heavy storm cloud just waiting to explode in thunder and rain. You feel adrenaline rushing through your body in anger and defiance, wanting to do anything but listen to Dazai's dog.

He hurt you.

He underestimated you...

and yet years after Dazai's disappearance, after you were assured Akutagawa was nothing, worthless, you were the one left following this empty shell of a person now.

Who does he think he is?

"Akutagawa..." you say softly, bitterly, but not quietly enough for him to not hear you. You want him to face you, you want to prove yourself to that condescending glare.