chapter four

The door slammed as you shut it, leaning your back against its frame, a sigh escaping your lips. "Fuck..."

Why did he want to talk about it? Whatever it was. There was no point in discussing things with him, especially the idea of you two becoming something more. A romantic relationship between the two of you would go nowhere—staying as friends was the only viable option.

Though your thoughts were against it, your heart was beating fast—way faster than you would have liked. If you wanted to get past this muddled area of your life, all feelings about Megumi would have to be pushed down into the depths of your body—in the dark and deep where you could no longer hear or feel them. So you did...

•••

A look of surprise flashed through Megumi's eyes, and he couldn't contain the parting of his lips in shock. You stood in the kitchen, a smile on your face as you packed him a lunch. Even though you had been together for a short while, neither of you had made each other lunch—honestly, the thought hadn't popped into your head until now.

"Uh... [name], what are you doing?" He questioned, taking a step closer into the kitchen, eyes trailing down to your working hands.

You smiled as you finished the final touches of his lunch, putting the lid on the container. "Obviously I'm making you lunch." You held out the container in front of you, gesturing for him to take it.

A wave of confusion passed through him; why were you acting so normal, as if nothing had happened in the past few days. He wanted to talk about things with you, he wanted to discuss his feelings... but if you had no intention of doing so, he would respect that.

To your surprise, a small smile graced his usually straight lips. "Thank you so much, [name]. I'm excited to try it."

A small laugh erupted from your lips and you raised your fist up to punch him in the shoulder lightly—you weren't sure exactly why you did it, but you had seen this sort of thing in movies before. A shy, awkward chuckle escaped him as you pulled your fist away from his body and brought it back to your side.

"I'll see you after school today, okay?" You smiled at him, grabbing your bag and putting the homemade lunch inside. You felt his eyes on you the entire time, but you said nothing as you made your way to the front door.

Megumi shifted quickly from behind you, a nimble hand reaching to grab your arm—the grasp was light and delicate as he gently pulled you back to face him. "[name], wait..."

"Yeah?" You questioned as you faced him.

Megumi's eyes widened as he got a good look at you. Your eyes bright and soulful, your skin, hair, and everything about you was beautiful—he found it shameful that he hadn't noticed before.

"Uh—nothing, just have a good day at school today. I'm looking forward to spending time with you today." He said quickly, before pulling you into a warm embrace. His hands ran through your hair as he held you close.

As you pulled away, you couldn't contain the small smile on your face. "You too, Megs, and so am I." And then you were out the door.

It was weird, hugging him that is. If he had done that a week ago, your stomach would have been doing flips, and your face would have gotten warmer than the sun. But today, it felt nice and welcoming, and the nervousness that was usually there, was gone.

•••

"So you've been talking to a girl, huh?"

Yuji's eyes widened more than ever before as he turned to face his brother, who was bearing a small grin on his sly lips. "Who told you that?" He quipped.