CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

"MASTER thieves?!" Isla asks, surprised from the newly found information.

"Something like that. Mainly, it's Calyx who is really the expert in that while the rest of us have other things we're good at." Archer elaborates.

As soon as Calyx and Weston arrives, all of their questions are being answered now in the couple's living room.

"Billy used to be a legal representative of the French mafia and Keith was recruited after his term in the military to be one of them." He explains further. "Me and Keith, we have the same kind of work, I guess."

"And that is?" Faye asks to clarify.

"We do the dirty work. Whatever the bosses tell us to do, we do it. Anything they want, we can't complain."

There was a slight silence because of the confusion so Billy steps in. "They kidnap, torture, kill people if they're told to do so."

His blunt confession makes Faye and Isla gasp but what was surprising was Rory who still doesn't responded in any kind of way to the information she's getting.

"How are we sure that you're not going to hurt us?" Faye asks.

"We don't hurt women and children." Keith answers.

"And the innocents." Archer adds.

"We might be no saints but we still have conscience." Billy shrugs.

With that statement, Rory chuckles darkly that made every pair of eyes on her. "Isn't it ironic? These criminals still have boundaries when they commit crimes yet my perfect ex-boyfriend owns the hands that supposed to keep me safe but strangled me instead."

It was like everyone's breath was taken away. The statement was pure truth, distaste and sorrow. No one knows what to say after that. Weston, who is sitting beside her, wraps his arm around her gently as she lays her head on his shoulder.

Calyx clears his throat. "You don't have to be scared of us. You'll be alright with us. All of you."

The guys agreed to what he said, earning a tired smile from her. "I know."

"What brings you here in Davenport?" Faye asks.

"The last heist we did, was to our old boss. He was a dick. So, we practically stole most of his money and now we're here, freshly escaped from hell." Billy replies.

"Aren't you scared of getting caught? Not unless..." Isla didn't finish her sentence but Archer knows what she's going to say so he nods.

"Yeah, we killed him and everyone who's loyal to him."

Isla slowly nods. "Oh."

"We keep some alive, gave them money and ran off to various places."

"Weston..." Faye starts. "What are you going to do about Henry? You're not going to let him get away with what he did to Rory, right?"

"Of course not. He didn't just hurt my daughter physically and emotionally; he also broke the trust I gave him." He shakes his head. "But we can't tell the police, I don't trust them. Most of them are probably working for him or easily bribed."

"What now?" Rory asks, looking at his father.

"We're going to do it their way." He answers and looks at Calyx. She looks at him and makes eyes contact.

"We might not be your typical heroes but we'll make sure they get what they deserve for what they did to you." Calyx states, "Unless you're not cool with it. Are you?"

She hesitates and looks at her father. "You're alright with this? But isn't it according to the holy Bible that we do not seek revenge?"

"God have mercy on us, men have their doing." He responds. "They know what they're doing, okay?"

"This is a conversation between a daughter and a preacher dad?" Billy whispers but receives a nudge from his husband.

"No." Rory refuses. "It won't make me feel any better if we did this."

Weston was about to say something in the contrary but she stands up and faces Keith and Billy.

"Thank you for taking care of me and for the nice breakfast but I believe we've bothered you quite enough."

Calyx was going to protest but she faces her father and speaks again.

"Let's just go home." She pleads with a mellow and exhausted tone. Weston was unable to resist so he stands up as well.

"Aren't you going home?" Weston asks Isla and Faye.

"Archer can take us home. You go ahead, I'm sure Rory needs to rest."

He nods in understanding. Rory bids farewell to everyone and walks away first. Weston though, asks for Calyx's number before leaving. The whole car ride on their way home has been very silent. Until they arrive, Rory goes straight to her room, ignoring the sight of the living room. And she stayed there for a day or two until it became a week.

Weston knocks on her door and opens it, revealing her laying on her bed with her back facing him. He approaches her and sits beside her on the bed. Anytime now, he will leave her. He must say his goodbye now.

"Rory. My love." He starts. "I don't know if you're listening or not but I'm going to say this anyway."

He's having second thoughts of what to say but still speaks up.

"The day I had you was the best day of my life. After five years, your mother passed away. I thought I never could want to live after that but I was wrong. I wanted to live for you. But I failed miserably as your father. You've been hurt so much and I failed to protect you. I'm sorry for that. I thought I could be a good mother and father to you but I can't. All I can do is love you. And if I have to protect you till my last breath, I will."

He wipes his tears and chuckles to suppress it.

"Well, then. I have to go to church now. Bye, my love." He leans in closer to her head and kisses her.

He stands up and whispers to himself.

"I'll be reuniting with your mom soon."

"Dad." He jumps, startled but turns around to see her sitting upright with her back on the headboard. "If I would be able to choose who my father will be, I'll always choose you. I love you, Dad."

He gives her a warm and grateful smile. He walks back to her and gives her a hug. After that, he tells her that he'll be going so he leaves the house.

She was about to go back to sleep but when Weston gets inside his car and starts it, a big explosion occurs.