CHAPTER TWO (1)

2. Departing

152 AG, Republic City

Sunrise, the radiant star had just begun peeking out its head over the horizon, bringing yellow and orange tints to the night blue sky. The capital city of the United Republic of Nations woke up from a peaceful sleep little by little. The streets began to fill up, and a din, provoked by the launch of the factories, rang the beginning of the daily tumult of the new town.

In the richest neighborhood of Republic City, among the dozens of estates established, each more sumptuous than the next, one stood out of the lot. Contrary to its neighbours' exuberant facade, that mansion looked very simple but had very high walls made of stainless steel. Behind the tall gate, laid a huge garden, beautifully arranged and kept. At the front, bright green grass surrounded a long, stoned path that led to the central building, while exotic groves and planters lined up along the pathway. Without being opulent, it was still pretty clear that the owners were influential people with prosperous business, and that money wasn't something they had to care about.

The back garden was even less sophisticated, a lot more sober and delicate. A large terrace occupied half of the space and was surrounded by a manicured lawn, decorated with few plants and a single, but imposing, ginkgo tree. Under the shade of the massive tree, a round stoned table and six stools were installed. A flowerpot sat in the middle of the table, filled with ginkgo branches whose lost leaves had fallen off, sprinkling dark yellow touches on the green grass.

Small birds were warbling in the tree, as the sun started to show more of his yellow body, shining more brightly. Sunrays penetrated slowly in a bedroom located on the second floor, on the back side of the mansion. As expected from a huge house, the bedroom was spacious, but it contained very few things, making it look bigger. The decoration was simple, without any trace of ostentation. The only furniture in the room were a double bed, in the middle of the room with the bedhead against the wall, a wardrobe, placed in one of the corners, and a large shelf filled with books.

Near the window, a young woman was standing still, squinting her golden eyes because of the blinding sunlight. She was staring at the tree, lost in her thoughts. A little taller than average, with an athletic body due to intense training, the young lady rested her head against the window, her fingers, full of small scratches, placed on the cold glass. She sighed loudly, and took a deep breath before standing straight, her previously absent-minded eyes now filled with determination.

After many years of extreme preparation, the day had finally come for Zaya. Upon reaching eighteen years old, the only daughter of the Agni Kai's boss enrolled in the United Forces Navy. Her goal and only purpose in life: killing Fire Lord Zuko to avenge her ancestors, or using her father's favorite word, restoring their family's honor. Since the age of five, Zaya had been trained to become the best fighter, and she far exceeded Zimu's expectations. His daughter wielded her sword better than any teacher she had, and could now easily rival with him. As a bender, she excelled in firebending so much that one might think that this art existed for the sole purpose of her using it.

Driven by revenge, Zaya threw herself body and soul into training, striving to surpass her limits. As a kid, she didn't understand the meaning of her father's words, and obediently followed his lessons. He told her about his family's story back in the Fire Nation everyday before going to sleep, and the little girl believed that Fire Lord Zuko was a bad guy she had to defeat.

Blinded by her father's words, Zaya never complained about her mission. She believed that was the right thing to do. Her mother Neiko didn't try to stop her husband, but did tell Zaya not to take everything her father told her at face value. She had to understand things by herself, and make her own judgment. Her mother's words didn't make Zaya's heart waver, but they still stayed in her mind.

"Okay, Zaya. Time to go," she whispered to herself.

She walked out of her bedroom, and went outside, in the garden. She advanced slowly towards the ginkgo tree, and stopped when she reached its foot. She looked up at the branches, moved closer to the tree trunk, and placed one hand on it. Each time Zaya felt nervous, she would come to the ginkgo tree. The imposing presence of the century-old tree eased her mind, and made her recover her spirits.

The sun was now higher in the sky, and warmed the already-in-full-swing town. Zaya looked one last time at the ginkgo tree – she didn't know when she'd be able to see it again – and headed inside, where her parents were already waiting for her in the immense living room.

"Zaya," her father called. "Come and eat. You need to be in top shape today."

Zaya nodded, and took a seat at the long, rectangular table. Her father was sitting at one end of the table, and her mother was next to him, on his right. Zaya sat in front of her mother, and started eating without a word. Zimu's face was radiant, obviously pleased. The day he had patiently waited for finally came. He talked way more than usual, and made silly jokes, which were unusual for him. On the contrary, Neiko didn't seem neither happy, nor worried. Her face remained calm as usual, and she talked to Zimu the same she did every other day since they had met.

On the other side, Zaya didn't utter a word. She stayed silent while looking at her parents making small talks about their job. Her concentration was high, and she felt like she'd lose it if she were to talk. At the end of breakfast, her parents accompanied her to their front gate, sending her off before her long journey. Neiko hugged her daughter tightly, and wished her a safe trip. Zaya turned to her father.

Zimu stared at her, and, with his deep voice, said, "Remember our plan, Zaya. Find the Prince, befriend him to get closer to Zuko and then...". He paused, and took a deep breath before uttering these words with a voice full of hate: "Kill Fire Lord Zuko to restore our family's honor."

A/N: so that was the first part of the chapter. It was very short, but I hope you enjoyed it ;) see you in the next part!

Edit: Hi everyone, it's been a very long time. I'm not dead and will start updating my stories again :) I've reworked this chapter a little bit, but expect the second half of it soon!