𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟻 • 𝚂𝚘𝚙𝚑𝚒𝚎 • 𝙰 𝙽𝚎𝚠 𝙷𝚘𝚋𝚋𝚢

"So, class, don't forget to—" Brrring! The bell rang before Sir Lyalon could finish his sentence. The class rose as one to rush out of the door of the classroom. He sighed loudly.

Only one student was left in the class. Sophie rose from her seat and gathered her supplies up into her arms, walking towards the door. Just as she was about to leave, Sir Lyalon bounded over, his mane of yellowish, gray-streaked hair bouncing after him, so much like a lion's mane that many kids jokingly called him Sir Lion.

It's amazing for a man of such age to still be so active and love what he's doing, she reflected, her step wavering. Then he appeared right in front of her, seemingly having teleported from the middle of the classroom to the back, near the door.

"Um... sir?" She asked, gesturing to the door. "Shouldn't I get to lunch?"

"Well, yes, Soph, but—" He said, but was interrupted once more by Sophie.

"It's Sophie. Sir Lion— I mean, Lyalon," she said, blushing. During the class, Sir Lyalon had declared that every great actor or actress should have a nickname or a stage name, and he had began nicknaming everyone in the class. When he had gotten to Sophie, he had christened her Small Soph, due to her frustratingly short height and slender frame. After the naming, he had enjoyed torturing her by continually calling her Soph and her having to correct him many times, though he didn't really listen. Aside from that aspect, she had greatly enjoyed the class and its eccentric teacher.

"—do you think you could get that permission slip signed quickly? I could tell you were considering it, and I really think that you would be a great addition to our Drama Club, and the faster you get in, the better," he said, ignoring her interruption. Aside from his eccentricity, he also seemed to have an uncanny sixth sense that could tell how you were feeling.

"I..." she hesitated. She had been considering it, but she still wasn't sure. She looked up at him. "Can I have a few days to consider it?"

He shrugged. "Sure! But, again, the sooner the better!"

Sophie smiled. "Okay, I'll get back to you tomorrow!" She called, and waved goodbye as she walked out the door and crashed into something... or someone.

"Whoa there, Foster," Keefe said, putting his hands on her shoulders to steady her. "You alright there?"

Before she could reply, Sir Lyalon poked his head through the door and squinted through his spectacles.

"Is that Keefe Sencen?" He called out.

Keefe glanced up and grinned. "Hey, Sir Lyalon!" He waved jovially, almost losing a grip on Sophie, then pulling her up again.

"What are you doing here, young man?" The teacher trotted over and patted Keefe's shoulder. He turned to Sophie. "Are you friends with him?"

"Um... yes?" She answered slowly.

He clapped his hands joyfully. "Well, just so you know, Keefester is also thinking about joining the Drama Club! Maybe you can convince each other!"

Sophie's head was swimming with questions. "Wait..." She turned to Keefe, staring at him accusingly. "You're also joining the Drama Club?!"

He scratched his head ruefully. "Well... yeah..." he mumbled, cheeks flushing slightly.

She couldn't help but smile when she saw his red cheeks. He rarely got embarrassed, especially not in front of her. He always had a facade of cockiness and jokester vibes around him.

"So what's up with that nickname?" She made a face and laughed. "Seriously? Keefester?"

He immediately brightened up. "Hey, I suggested it. And sir Lyalon completely agreed! It's a great nickname! In fact, it should be my full, legal name!"

Sophie rolled her eyes. "That would be a nightmare," she grumbled.

And just like that, the two were back to when they were ten-years-old, bickering playfully and occasionally shoving or poking each other.

Sir Lyalon cleared his throat, and they both stopped, cheeks flushed.

"Well," he mused. "You two certainly get along well."

Sophie opened her mouth, about to retort, but found that she couldn't say anything.

"Forgive me, but I presume that you're most likely going to join the club now?" He said, raising his eyebrows and looking between Sophie and Keefe.

She blushed. "Yep," she said as Keefe's smile grew smugger. When she turned and saw that his ego and inflated tenfold, she said, "Well, only probably! I still have to get Grady or Edaline to sign this! And you know how hard it is to get through Grady." She held up a small permission slip.

At the sound of Grady's name, Keefe froze. Slumping on the wall, he said, "We might as well forget about it. Grady's never going to let you join if he hears that I'm going to be there."

"Again, forgive me, but is Grady your father?" Sir Lyalon asked, falling into the conversation again.

"Yep," Keefe grumbled. "Her very, very, very, overprotective father. Who hates me."

Thankfully, Sir Lyalon didn't ask. Instead, he nodded and walked back to his desk. Fetching a pen and a slip of paper, he scribbled quickly on it.

"Here," he said, handing it back to Sophie. "This is a recommendation letter. Let's just say that I put some... persuasive wording in there. I'm convinced that this will work."

Without much enthusiasm, she took it from him and tucked it into the little envelope where the permission slip sat. She wasn't sure that a simple recommendation letter, even if it was persuasive, could sway her one-minded father, but she said "thanks" anyway.

Sir Lyalon checked the old-timey watch on his wrist. "I think it's time for you kids to get to lunch now," he said, gently nudging them out of the classroom. "It's already 11:46! Half your playtime for Lunch 1 is over!"

Instead of going, the two stared at him in surprise. Keefe recovered first, blinking and shaking his head.

"First of all, Sir Lyalon, it is not our playtime. It's just Lunch 1. It's... not-eating-lunch-time! Maybe I should educate you on high-school modern terms," he said, shaking his head.

The teacher blinked, as if he had never been addressed by a student like this, asking him to improve in a polite tone. "Well..." he began, then shrugged. "Sure, whatever, but get to lunch, you kids!" He said, grinning.

And with that, he shooed them out into the corridor and closed his door.

a/n: Whew! Finally finished a chapter! At first this was going to be Keefe meeting Sophie's friends, in Sophie's POV, but this was more interesting so I wound up just writing this chapter. So now everything's messed up, because during lunch, Sophie has to have the POV and Keefe has to have the next chapter after that be his POV for... reasons. I have a whole plan set out. So I guess next chapter might be a flashback or something from Keefe's point of view because EVERYTHING. NEEDS. TO. GO. PERFECTLY!!! So I guess you guys can have a glimpse of Keefe's life before the events of this book. Wow this fictional day is looong. Okay bye guys! Hope you enjoyed this chappie! Also: NOT EDITED!