21: One-Shot

"Mister and Mister Li" Author: TheNinjaOfCake22

Both Zuko and Sokka were trying their best to walk about the prison without drawing unnecessary attention but pretending to be a prison guard was harder then either of them thought. The uniform worked most of the time but whenever they got caught being somewhere they weren't meant to be, they struggled to come up with a good explanation... one could only use the excuse "I'm new here" so many times before it no longer worked.

It was late as Sokka and Zuko were going through the corridors trying to find the ice box that was used as punishment for firebenders who were firebending, if Sokka's plan to escape was going to work they needed to find it and check it out first.

"Are you sure this is the right way?" whispered Zuko glancing at Sokka

"Of course, I'm positive this is the way they brought the prisoner" responded Sokka but his voice wasn't very confident and Zuko noticed but, they kept walking about the corridors.

"Ok. We have to be going to wrong way" said Zuko abruptly stopping and facing Sokka

"No, I think we're getting close..."

"Just admit it... you don't remember where they took the prisoner" Zuko smirked as he placed his hands on his hips.

"I won't, because I do remember" stated Sokka crossing his arms

"Oh really then tell me, are we getting close?"

"We are" said Sokka leaning in towards Zuko slightly glaring.

"Then tell me... how close" Sokka opened his mouth to respond but stopped when he was interrupted.

"You two! What are you doing back here? Who are You?" both Sokka and Zuko backed apart and stood up straight trying to resume their roles as guards as an actual guard approached them. Though they would never want to admit this they both froze they weren't paying attention and forgot their stories, they quickly blurted out the first names that came to mind.

"Li" they both said in unison and once they realized they said the same name their hearts beat even faster and their hands began to get sweaty. The guard just looked at them just as confused as they were, what were they going to do? Zuko's mind was racing trying to find a logical reason for them to have the exact same name, maybe they were brothers? no that made no sense.

Sokka's mind was working double time they couldn't get caught just because they had the same name, he would never forgive himself if he failed to save his dad and Suki because him and Zuko happened to say the same name. Oh why would they have the same name? how? then without Sokka's realizing it at first his mind started acting on a plan to escape the situation.

Sokka's hand casually reached out and grabbed Zuko's hand sending chills up both of their arms from the contact. But neither pulled away as Sokka lifted up their intertwined fingers high enough for the guard to see.

"We're um... We're Mister and Mister Li" said Sokka trying to sound as calm as he could the guard eyed the two with suspicion, both Sokka and Zuko were beginning to panic it didn't work Zuko gripped Sokka's hand tighter.

"Oh I see you thought you could get a little alone time did ya? well you know the rules no personal relations are supposed to interact while on duty. Return to your positions guards and no lollygagging gots it?" the guard pointed a finger at the two before he returned back the way he came shaking his head lightly as he mumbled "young couples."

Zuko and Sokka stood there for a moment shocked that it worked, they didn't get caught. Both boys exhaled sharply with Zuko now realizing he had been holding his breath then they noticed they were still holding hands and both boys yanked their hands free of the other immediately choosing not to say anything.