11

ENZO

I waited with Lia till her ride came, then rode alone to Massimo's Sanctuary. A small farm located in the countryside, I had rented it out for the evening for Lia and me to just interact with the animals, and ride the horses. But now it looks as though I will be doing that solo, I'm not too upset by it I'm confident I'll still have a good time surrounded by animals, but I still feel that darkness creeping its way back into me, wrapping its fingers around my neck and squeezing.

I try to recenter my thoughts because I don't want to spook the horses with my bad vibes. When my car arrives at the small picturesque farm, I feel the hand of darkness start to loosen. Maybe this is exactly what I needed. I step out and meet the owner by the stables as instructed, I want to go riding on the trails for a while, it always helps me clear my mind. The owner Massimo, lets me choose which horse I want to ride, he says all but one are available, that there's one whose ill-tempered with strangers. I pick the beautiful black Andalusian horse, he seems to take a liking to me, and I like that, his name is Nightmare. How ironic.

I saddle nightmare up, and head out, feeling a level of serenity alone, that I haven't experienced in a long while. Away from the school, my teachers, peers, and people who know me as the golden boy, and expect me to be the golden boy. No expectations, no need to pretend, just the country air, beautiful views, and the world going by me in a blur as we speed through the trails. Only stopping to take in the scenery, and allow Nightmare to rest. The darkness's grasp can't reach me here, I feel free.

The sun sets, so I take Nightmare back to the stables, unsaddle him, and let him rest in his stall. I  hear someone singing to the animals, and when I walk outside I see a female farmhand playing with the foals, I immediately recognize that the farmhand is Nova. She has the wrist splint, that she had on during math class still. I've never seen her be so happy, there are small glimpses, moments when she's clearly in pain but her smile is big and wide, revealing dimples on each cheek. She looks so free, I don't want to disturb her, so I head inside and let Massimo know that Nightmare is back and in his stall.  Massimo is watching her from the window and I stand next to him.

"She's got a beautiful soul that one,  such a good kid." He says watching her like a proud father. I don't know much about her parents, besides them being important people from another country, no one does, and in a school where everyone's parents are either someone famous, dangerous, influential or all of the above, that is highly unusual.

"Is she your daughter?" I ask, noticing they do have small things in common.

"No, I was never fortunate enough to have a daughter of my own, I had a step daughter but my wife and I separated so I don't see her anymore ," he laughs sadly.

"If I had I doubt I could have raised her to be as sweet as that one over there, I've never met someone let alone a teenager who was so gentle, with so much patience, and kindness for other living beings. I'd be lucky to have a daughter like that, I have the patience of a toddler. Don't tell her that though, she spooks as easily as the horses" He jokes.

Just then one of the foals tries to nuzzle against Nova's neck, and it puts her off balance, she lands on her back and cries out in pain.

Massimo is there instantaneously, and before I can stop myself I run to her too.

"I thought I told you to take it easy Nova, I don't want you getting hurt helping me, you can take time off if you need to." He really does treat her as his own daughter.

"Are you okay??" I ask, genuinely concerned because the cry was filled with pure pain.

She hasn't said anything, tears just fill in her eyes, as her face turns red then blue, "Nova you have to breathe, even if it hurts you have to breathe hun." Massimo tells her.