Prologue

"You're my best friend, Steph."

"You're mine too, Cal." A tear escapes me.

"There's nothing I want more than for us to be together." He pauses and sighs. "But if we broke up, our friendship would never be the same."

"I know you're right, but what if we never broke up? Who is to say we will break up?"

"I care about our friendship too much."

"I feel the same, but I'm willing to take the risk. Last night was one of the most amazing nights of my life. I don't think we can go back to just being friends after that, do you?"

"You felt it too?" he says, looking up into my eyes.

"Yes, it was incredible. I want us to be so much more than friends."

"Come here." He holds his arms out, beckoning me over to the bed where he rests against the headboard. I join him and he hugs me tight; I feel his warm breath in my hair.

"I just don't want to lose you as a friend," he says while caressing my cheek.

"You won't."

"I will, I know I will."

"I promise—if we break up, I will always be your friend."

He kisses my forehead. "I hope you will, I never want to lose you. I couldn't bear to not have you in my life."

"Me neither," I sigh.

"Did you have a good day at work?"

"Yes, I did actually." I spent all day reliving the memory of Cal making love to me the night before, our first time together, my best friend. It just sort of happened as we lay on his bed in the attic bedroom of our student accommodation. I look up at him and I want to relive it again. He licks his lips and inches closer, then runs his tongue along my mouth before brushing his full, soft lips against mine. The tips of our noses' gently touch and our tongues engage in a slow dance once more.