Lables

*possible spoilers All the Bright Places*

(I've recently finished All the Bright Places. It was an amazing book, highly recommend.)

Theadore Finch hated labels. He was labeled freak by kids at school, bipolar by his guidance counselor, and survivor by people that knew he got abused. Honestly, I really don't like labels either. I've been labeled so many things and not all are bad but to me they are. Too smart. Fat. Depressed. Tired. Stressed.

I would say the worst label is survivor. Survivor means someone, something, or even a piece of your self is gone. Survivors get praised for staying when the other thing or person was forced to leave. Being labeled as a survivor just seems like the worst thing to be labeled as when you get told you are one.

There are other labels that suck too. Depressed. Suicidal. Bipolar. And so on. The thing about these labels is that you have to change in order to fix them. Labels are permanent unless you change the entire product. Finch tried to do that and it didn't work that well, he still got labeled. If you want to get "good" labels you have to change who you are. Or rip it off but most times that's not an option. I'll just deal with it. Take the labels as they come at me and pretend I don't know they're there. It's ok. I'm fine.