Explanation

I reached into my pocket and pulled out my phone. I dialed a number and then brought the phone to my ear.

"Hello?" Kortopi said on the other end. "Hey Kortopi." I say. "Hey Kara. What are you up to?" He asked. "Well I decided to take the Hunter Exam." I tell him. It was silent for a moment.

"I believe Hisoka is also taking the exam this year." He calmly said.

"Yeah, he is here too." I began to walk back into the forest. No time to waste. Who knows what will be next for the exam.

"And has he seen you?" Kortopi was trying to keep his composure.

"Yeah, he saw me a few times." I said. "Oh is that so? What are you wearing?" He asked. "A gas mask and a hoodie." I described my appearance to him.

"Ok, that's pretty clever of you. So do you have an alias or something?" He questioned.

"Well I'm not stupid. Of course I do." I assure him. "Well have you spoken to Hisoka?" He was asking many questions. And his voice was calm but he was definitely irritated.

"We did talk a few times. But not really a conversation. But he did grab my arm once." I didn't want to lie to him. I continued to walk through the forest, following the sent of all the people.

I could hear all the animals around me but every time I looked at one it would cower away in fear.

At least the creatures are smart.

I heard a sigh through the phone. "Kara." He paused. "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU? WE GO THROUGH ALL THIS WORK JUST FOR YOU TO FLUSH IT DOWN THE DRAIN BY TALKING TO HISOKA. I WOULD UNDERSTAND IF YOU WENT TO TALK TO ILLUMI, BUT YOU TALKED TO HISOKA. HONESTLY WHAT WAS THE POINT OF FAKING YOUR DEATH?" He shouted through the phone.

But I just pulled it away from my ear and let him scream at the air.

"Are you done?" I brought the phone back to my ear. "Yes I'm done. But seriously Kara, what is the point of all this if you are going to be so careless?" He lowered his voice back down to a minimum.

"To be honest I don't even know why I did this anymore. I thought that if I left, everyone would be happier and safer. But seeing Illumi at the cafe, I could see he has changed. He is not like he used to be. And that's my fault. I miss him." I tell him.

"Kara, you just need to be safer now especially since Chrollo knows that you are still alive." He said.

When Kortopi spoke, my heart jumped out of my chest. I sat there in silence, trying to make sure I heard him right.

"What did you say?" I nearly whispered into the phone.

"Chrollo knows you are still alive." Kortopi repeated himself. I stopped walking. I had made it to the gate where everyone else was. I could see all the remaining participants.

I stood there and stared blankly at the sky. There was a big blimp  in the air on the other side of this big wall.

"Kara? Are you still there?" My silence concerned Kortopi.

"Kortopi I have to go." I say and instantly hang up the phone, not waiting for him to respond.

Everyone watched me as I slowly put my phone into my pocket. Gon ran up to me.

"Hey, it's you. You made it." Gon jumped up and down. "Who is that?" Killua walked up to the two of us. "Umm..." Gon thought long and hard to remember my name.

"Oh yeah, it's Alya." He pointed to the sky. 

I stood there looking off in the distance. Then I slowly looked down at the children in front of me. Tears began to fall from my eyes.