The Fall of the House of Skellig pt. 3

In the silence that had overtaken the courtroom, the slam of Trucy setting down the chair that was meant to be used by the defendant was the loudest thing Phoenix had ever heard in his life, and he kept his eyes fixed on the witness stand as he reached up to pat her on the head.

The judge, meanwhile, sighed in frustration.

"I can't say I'm completely supportive of this," he told the court. "On one hand, I must admit I'm very interested to know about the history of Fatargan and our faith, but on the other..."

He joined the rest of his court in eyeing the Professor with paralysing fury.

"Professor Layton," said the judge, "you are the last person I would turn to for that kind of information! Where in the world have you been these past few days?!"

Layton looked up with one hand on his hat, coyly smiling at the judge from under the brim.

"Do you really wish to know?" he asked. "Do you really wish to know the things I've been forced to do in order to stay alive during the past day or two? Or would you be more comfortable going to your grave without that particular gem of knowledge?"

Phoenix bit his tongue to keep himself from bursting out laughing.

"...well..." the judge said nervously.

"He's bluffing, Uncle Angus," Michaela said calmly. "I wouldn't be surprised if he's been hiding away in that little rental cottage this entire time, ducking into the bathroom whenever anyone came to visit."

"OBJECTION!" Trucy stomped on the table with all her might. "Ms Skellig, look at our clothes! Look at me wearing my spare cape!" She tossed the fabric aside to show off the patches of dust all over her dress. "Do we look like we've been all cushy in a house by a fireplace?"

Michaela adjusted her glasses at the girl.

"Admittedly, you don't," she said. "But then again, neither does your young friend, and he isn't even a wanted man. Care to explain what the three of you have been doing?"

Trucy gently withdrew her foot from the bench.

"U-um..." She glanced sideways at Luke.

"OBJECTION!" Luke took that as his cue to slam on the table. "The defence doesn't care for the prosecution's irrelevant speculation! We're here to listen to the Professor right now, and in the long term, to determine the guilt or innocence of Miles Edgeworth!"

He pointed at Michaela for emphasis.

"As it is believed that he unwittingly allowed a spirit to enter the Skellig residence," he went on, "Professor Layton's testimony about those spirits is vitally important to the case at hand!"

Edgeworth stared at the boy in alarm.

"Good grief, Wright!" he spat. "What on earth have you been doing with these children?"

"I'm not a child!" Luke flushed angrily. "I'm fifteen!"

"Fifteen?!" Edgeworth stared even harder. "I could've sworn you were twelve!"

"I have to say that in this case," Michaela interrupted before Luke could get even angrier, "I agree with the judge. While I believe it's likely that this information could turn out to be crucial to understanding this case, I don't want to hear it from the mouth of a man who has proven willing to display blatant disregard not only for the law, but also for our people!"

"OBJE-"

"Watch yourself, young man." Edgeworth pressed Luke back from the desk. "The last thing a lawyer should look is eager."