Chapter 20

Everyone starts screaming and the tires of the car screech. I cover my ears and look around to see if there's anything I can use against the alien. Nothing. A hand comes through the roof, almost at my head.

"Shit!" I yell out loud.

"Hang on!" Zehn Zehn says in a worried and panicked voice.

We start driving onto a bridge and that's when Zehn Zehn says something crazy.

"Jump!"

"What! Are you crazy?" Dariush yells.

I see Zehn Zehn opening her door and jumping out, landing on her bag. Before I can even think about it I do the same, rolling as I land. The car drives off the bridge, taking the alien with it. We lie down for a while, catching our breaths.

"Way to go, Zehn Zehn!" Alex shouts.

"Is everyone okay?" I ask.

"Yeah, I think so," Alex replies.

"Good," I breathe out.

Gabriel comes running to me, "Y/N, are you okay?"

I nod, "I'm fine."

"Guys, guys! I don't have the key!" Alex panics. A wave of dread washes over me.

"What?"

"It's probably in the car!" He says again.

"Oh my god-" I whisper.

"Damn it. Damn it, damn it, damn it," Dariush repeats and starts walking off.

"Where are you going?" Alex stops him.

"To get the key!"

Gabriel steps in, "No! There's no way to kill that thing it's just going to reanimate."

"Yeah.. but we need that key to finish this off!"

"You're gonna die if you go down there," Zehn Zehn says.

Alex agrees, "she's right, we'll go together."

"So all five of us will die? I thought you were supposed to be the smart one. It's my turn."

"Dariush you can't do this!" I start to tear up.

He pulls me into a tight hug. This lasts for a few seconds until he pulls away.

"I'm sorry, for everything. I shouldn't have been such a bitch to you..." I mumbled.

"Y/N, I was a total ass. It's okay," he chuckles.

He starts to walk off and we watch from the edge of the bridge as he heads towards the car.

"I hope he's going to be okay," Alex sighs.

We watch as he crawls under the car.  I see the alien move slightly.

"I can't watch this," I say, turning around. Gabriel pulls me into his arms and I feel him kiss me gently on the head.

I hear Dariush shout, "I got it!"

I turn around and Dariush is standing with the key in his hands. I smile and then cheer with everyone. Relief washes over me.

"I got the key!"

From behind him I see the alien moving again.

"Dariush! Behind you!" I yell.

"Look out!"

"Dariush!"

"Guys, I got the key!" He yells back up. Before he can say anymore, the alien scratches his stomach. He falls onto the ground and crawls under the car.

"Shit!" I shout aloud, "Dariush!"

"Dariush come on, run!"  Alex shouts.

Gabriel grabs my hand, "come on, we gotta go."

We run and meet Dariush at the end of the bridge.

"That cut looks awful!" I announce.

"Are you okay?" Gabriel asks as we keep running.

"I'm okay, I'm alright. Let's just get this key to JPL."